Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ragenald

1st LOW trip

4 posts in this topic

We are coming to LOW for the first time between Christmas and new years. We are staying in a sleeper. We mainly fish in so. mn. for pan fish and occasionally for walleye. I have the rods, but I am wondering what techniques and tackle we will likely use on the big lake. Thanks for any help you can give: Rage

Lots of possiblities here. You will be seeing many post in the coming weeks on tackle and technique. Jigging is very good on LOW. Northland Buckshot rattles, Rapala, Angel Eyes just to name a few. Jigged with a minnow head can produce some great action. I always run a bobber rig with glow crappie jigs, or plain gold or red hooks with a minnow 6-8" off the bottom. There are times when this rig will outfish the jigs so don't be afraid to switch up the approach. Keep an eye on the electronics they will tell you an awful lot regarding how the fish are reacting. Pounding the jig into the bottom and then move it up6" to a foot and let it just sit has triggered lots of action. You will find fish that will come right up to it and slam it. Other times you can reel up slowly and if the fish keeps following the jig I start a slow twitch and this can work. If they move away, drop it back down and start over. As I said keep watching this Forum lots of guys/gals with good info will be posting. As soon as there is walkable ice things will start to happen. Good luck and hang on. Bill

Thanks for the advice Bill! Can't wait for our trip.

The posts that have been made to your inquiry on the main Ice Fishing Forum also contain some good info. good luck and hang on. Bill