Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DinkADunk

Battery Chargers

3 posts in this topic

I'm looking to purchase a battery charger for the house and am looking for recommendations. I have a battery tender which is fine for a trickle charge but I'm looking for something a bit more robust. Something I can use to put a good charge on my trolling batteries and main boat battery before storage, maintain RV batteries, etc.

While a "marine" charger with a 3-stage charging profile is optimal, any charger will work OK.

IMO, it's far more important to charge as soon as possible after use than the specific type of charger.

MinnKota makes portable 3-stage chargers as does Guest. Schumacher also makes several different types of marine chargers in the Ship-n-Shore line; including ones with the desulphation/equalization mode.

About a year ago, I bought a Peak charger from menards. Its a smart charger (with all the features you started). It has a 2amp, 10 amp, 30 amp and 80amp start. It handles Gel, wet and AGM type batteries. Its nice and compact and has a digital micro processor bult into it.. It will maintain a bettery also. It also has a chargeing system tester built in and a battery tester (gives you codes for failed cell and other concerns). Also it has a battery recondition/refresh process option built in.

Its well built and easy to use. Itcosted (onsale) around $60-$70 bucks. I went to over 6-7 places and found the best deal and machine at Menards.

Good luck!