• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Man vs deer

biff

GREENBRIER – Man versus deer is not always a one-sided contest in favor of the human.

Ron Shock of Greenbrier (Arkansas) found himself in a second-best situation with a confrontation with a buck on the third day of the modern gun hunting season.

Shock, 63, was hunting near Cadron Creek northwest of Guy in northern Faulkner County. A stand used in past years needed repair, so Shock passed it up and used a lightweight lawn chair on the ground.

He spotted a good-sized buck with its head down, apparently feeding and about 50 yards away. “I cocked my gun, and the buck jerked its head up. I shot, and it went down. It jumped back up, and I shot again. The buck went down again then jumped up and came straight it me. I started backing up and stumbled over the lawn chair.

“The deer went after the lawn chair, and it tangled in its antlers. Then it came at me, pawing with its (front) hoofs. It got me on both sides of my face and my left arm that I was trying to protect myself with. Then the buck ran off.”

Shock said, “That lawn chair saved me. It fell off the deer’s antlers not far away, and I just laid on the ground. I was hurting. My son Danny and grandson Michael were hunting with me, and we have a signal we use to contact each other. So I reloaded the rifle and fired four shots. They came to me.”

Bruised, scratched and shaken, Shock immediately concluded that he was lucky in not being hurt worse by the deer. He said, “I’m not sure how big it was. I think it had 8 or 10 points (on its antlers), and it might have weighed 150 pounds. It was a pretty big buck.”

Ron, Danny and Michael Shock found the bent metal lawn chair but could not find any blood. “That second time I shot the buck, it wasn’t more than four feet away from me.”

Back at the same site two days later, Shock saw vultures. He found the buck dead, with it having gone several hundred yards and across Cadron Creek from where the attack took place.

The deer’s hooves caught Shock on both cheeks and on the neck. The deepest marks were on its left arm, the one raised in protection. The parallel marks were wide apart, indicating a good-sized hoof had made them.

The behavior of male deer can change drastically during the rut, the breeding season, according to wildlife biologists. Normally reclusive, bucks often turn bold and aggressive toward other deer, other animals and even humans. They have been known to charge vehicles on roads as well as four-wheelers and even persons riding horses.

That brings back a memory from one of my first archery hunts. I was walking around the edge of woods and there is a spot where the edge of the woods kind of ducks in and there is some prairie grass that grows there. I paused and made a few grunts just for fun really, just to see if anything was possibly bedded down there, well sure enough a small doe pops up. I decided to mess with her a bit and laid my bow down and started to walk towards her and kept grunting occasionally to keep her interest as she didn't seem to be afraid of me. Well I got within 10 feet of her, and concluded that she was a fawn from that year and that she was in heat for the first time, and also apparently had never seen a human, cause every time I would grunt, she would get all excited and her tail would twitch. Well when I finally got that close, she decided that she had had enough and started stomping her feet, so I figured that she was going to bolt. But instead she charged me!! I was so stunned at what was happening, that all I could do was wave my arms at her and hollar at her, not like there was really anything to be afraid of, as she was MAYBE 80 lbs. Well she came all the way to me and the only reason that she stopped was I actually slapped her across the face! Then she looked up at me, and turned around and walked away! Definately the weirdest thing I have ever had happen to me while hunting.

Quote:

That brings back a memory from one of my first archery hunts. I was walking around the edge of woods and there is a spot where the edge of the woods kind of ducks in and there is some prairie grass that grows there. I paused and made a few grunts just for fun really, just to see if anything was possibly bedded down there, well sure enough a small doe pops up. I decided to mess with her a bit and laid my bow down and started to walk towards her and kept grunting occasionally to keep her interest as she didn't seem to be afraid of me. Well I got within 10 feet of her, and concluded that she was a fawn from that year and that she was in heat for the first time, and also apparently had never seen a human, cause every time I would grunt, she would get all excited and her tail would twitch. Well when I finally got that close, she decided that she had had enough and started stomping her feet, so I figured that she was going to bolt. But instead she charged me!! I was so stunned at what was happening, that all I could do was wave my arms at her and hollar at her, not like there was really anything to be afraid of, as she was MAYBE 80 lbs. Well she came all the way to me and the only reason that she stopped was I actually slapped her across the face! Then she looked up at me, and turned around and walked away! Definately the weirdest thing I have ever had happen to me while hunting.

Thats Awesome. Wish you had a camera man too! Great story