• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Good Morning Everyone

I am interested in getting started ice fishing this year and wanted some recommendations on portable ice houses (2 person) ice auger and heater. Keep in mind that I have not told the wife yet.

Thanks in Advance

Goodman,

Welcome to FM!

One of the most user-friendly 2-person houses out there is made by Otter Outdoors and it is called the Magnum Lodge. Depending on how much room you want to save and/or how cozy you want to be, you could also maybe get by with The Cabin. Otter Outdoors also has a couple of other lines of fish houses called a Wild series and Wilderness Series for smaller price tags. However, I would stick with the original product line from Otter Outdoors. As for an auger, Nils Master is one brand to consider. They are the lightest and fastest auger out there but it comes with a price tag. A good "work horse" auger, which is what I have, is the Lazer Mag Express, 2 hp., 8" made by Strike Master. You won't go wrong with this auger either. In order to keep you warm, a 10 lb. propane cylinder and a Mr. Heater with hose attachment will do you just fine. Using a hose for the heater keeps the propane tank out of the house and saves you space.

For $600 - $1,000, you can get started. grin.gif

No problem. Happy to help out.

Another option would be to take a look in the 'For Sale' forum. Lots of good deals on nice equipment in there.

Not 2 start a compotition or anything TO, I've never fished out of a Otter portable, I own a clam 5600, which is 5x6 & I'm raely alone in it, its alright if your on fish & dont plan on moving much, but for more portability, (no pun intended grin.gif) I would go with a flip-over house, built in2 a sled, the only down side is-no floor, so its up 2 you, more comfy (with a floor), or more portability(no floor) flip-up style house. smirk.gif

Portability is a must in my opinion. Fish far - fish fast - drill lots of holes. Flip over portables - locator - good power auger, a fist full of jigs, etc, and you are ready to go.

Thanks - Jamison and French Lake Kid

I went out last night and bought the 2-Man Fish Trap Guide and the Buddy Heater with the propane extension. I am working on the auger and will wait for the electronics purchase at the end of the year - (This way I will not be recieving divorce papers)

French Lake Kid - My family just purchased a cabin on French Lake. Hope to meet up with you some time. Jamison said you were the lake expert when I was out fishing with him (on French) this summer

Take Care and thanks for the advice

Goodman, hahaha, lets hope. Hope your happy with your choice, which side of the lake is your cabin on? We'll have 2 get 2gether this winter & hammer on some eyes & crappies wink.gif

Just an idea, watch the bait shops, e-bay, the for sale forum on this sight, in a month or so there should be some excellent deals on used FL-8s. You should be able to get one for around $150. It sure helps make your time on the ice more enjoyable when you can get an idea of what is down there. grin.gif

It is on the north side off of French Lake Trail

I would love to go out with you some time, never ice fished, but I am sure with some guidance It will become my winter past time. I am heading over to the Mankato event on the 12th, if you want to ride along I can pick you up.

Take Care

Might have 2 do that. It should be a good year, last year was pretty crazy, I have some cool stories too, from last year I'll have 2 tell you this winter. tongue.gif Hint: Aqua Vu vs. Muskie grin.gif