• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

ICE !!!!!!!!

Scarface: I just looked at the Sportsman's webcam and there is not a trace of Ice in the Rainy.. I hope it changes soon. I saw the temp in Roseau was a lot warmer this morning, 27, than down here in the Cities, 14. You guys must be heating the outdoors too... LOL Kaz

Yep, I seen the same as Sarface yesterday in the morning. Was starting to open up some in the afternoon. Teens for highs next week, should make some ice then. smile.gif

I don't know if the river is freezing up in front of sportsman's but I can't see any waves anymore! I do see a boat though...

Never mind see a little ripple now mad.gif Wishfull thinking I guess

I talked to Brian from Lake Road Lodge this afternoon. He said that the bay is starting to freeze, but not the lake yet. The river was not only open yet but he was out yesterday and did real well and was going out again this afternoon.

With the fast water in the river dont watch for that to

freeze solid real soon. The Bay and the Lake will go

ice provided the wind doesnt blow and blow.

Fishing in the river is just lights out! The locals

are cleaning up with one hour limits and good quality

fish. Only a few boats left around but there were 5 or

6 at the River Bend docks.

With no science to back me up I am planning to fish the

second weekend in Dec......We will see how that goes.

Just pulled the NOAA weather report and it definitley looks like you guys have some ice making weather headed your way for the next 5-6 days. Curt I think you'll make it by the 2nd weekend of December. Bill

Lake was wind open at sundown yesterday with the wind blowing. The forcast for the next ten days is looking positive though with highs in the middle to low teens and lows in the single digits. The wind was fairly calm this morning. If it stays down we could see ice building soon, really soon.

With a little luck and some lower wind conditions we are going to possibly get out on 4 mile bay by the weekend, not going to push it though, just some wishfull thinking. At noon today it was wide open, at 3:30 there was ice formed out about 60 yards from shore so, it's coming fast!!

Indeed time to get the early ice stuff ready now. 11pm and it's 1 degree should be making ice somewhere!! Last boat trip of the year yesterday at Clementson.. Brrrr! Hopefully won't be more then a few days of 'off' time this year?

Darn wind was whippin good tonite out of the N. Enough of that already. These cold temps and no wind and it'll be go real soon.

Hey Kaz.. re. to your other thread. Last year I was out on the 29th at Morris on 5-6 inches, the 30th on the bay on about 4. The first brave Samurai crossed the bay on the 3rd.

Did anything firm up down there last night? We got down to -24 C (-10 F) and lots froze over at the north end of the lake. Still cold this afternoon, so this is looking good for an early ice.

Great webcam: You can control left/right, up/down, zoom, really cool http://www.gokenora.com/webcam.shtml

Hemlock,

The rainy river froze up last night, but I just checked the sportsman lodge web cam and it opened up again this afternoon. It's still 3 degrees F there right now, so it should freeze back over tonight and (hopefully) we'll be well on our way!

Yeah, with the gates as open as they are up here, I'm guessing your current areas are going to be stubborn to keep frozen. They still are dumping a lot out here. But as you can see by that webcam, most of Kenora bay froze last night, and is still frozen. So areas with out as much current should be well on their way.

I was up at the cabin yesterday by Long Point and it was froze over but it was very thin ice by shore. I threw a small rock out there and it went right through. The ice was definately moving around alot too. Hopefully the wind stays down so the lake can lock up for good!

I have only ever fished LOW once before and didnt have very good luck. Plan on heading up again the first part of Jan. Last time we were out from I think they call it pine island an adrains road. I pull a 16' sleeper house so its hard to find a guide. Anyone got a better place that we should try? Thanks

You'll get lots of answers but we catch consistently on Adrians road.

You may be a bit limited as to where you can go with a 16'er but don't think you have to be right beside someone else. There is very limited structure in the area so if you pack in together you just get a smaller piece of the pie.

Makes me crazy when someone pulls right in beside me when there's not onother rig for 500 yds. in any direction.

My theory is that in the absence of bottom structure, even surface structure has some affect on bottom dwelling fish. If I look for anything when setting my house it is a surface riff or heave, maybe a different ice texture but absolutely 100 yds. from anyone else.

Ok, I'd love to hear the rest of the theory on Surface structure...

I can see where there is actually bottom structure, IE a sandbar creating a ice ridge might be telling... Are you talking the same thing in the 30' basin? Subtle bottom changes create surface structure, or do the fish sense the ice change on top from down deep?? smile.gif

We usually go out of Morris Point with the wheel house and had great success last winter. I prefer to get the wheel house set up and hop around for awhile to try and find some active fish. Sometimes you get lucky and drop right on them, other times you may have to move. I will agree with the earlier post however, you're better off in the middle of no-where by yourself then you are setting up on top of someone else. Lots of fish out there, get away from the crowd and the pressured fish.

You weren't kidding when you e-mailed me yesterday and said you are getting older and needed a more comfortable ride out on the lake. An Arctic Cat will always make you more comfortable and help keep you younger. Happy B-day!