• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Too Dangerous to go out tomorrow??

swedishpimple

With lows forecasted around 10 degrees tomorrow, do you guys think it is too dangerous to head out in the dark on some big water for one last shot at some mallards and goldeneyes?

smirk.gif Yep leave em be, let em come south where it'll be a couple degrees warmer and I'll get em for you!

From personal experience with one very very close call with a bad ending I would recommend not going alone. the water is awfully chilly this time of the year - even with a PFD I'm afraid you wouldn't last too long in the water. That said, as long as you have a reliable boat and motor I don't see why 10 degrees would be too bad unless the winds are high. Good luck! I'm hoping the water satys open through the weekend - breaking ice can be a lot of work.

I hunt LOW late in the year and have left early to avoid freeze up. I do plan on going...it is not my first rodeo, but I kind of wanted to see how many other crazy diehards are out there.

I hunt out of a 16' Lund with older 40 hp on it. The boat and motor are very trusty and stable...I plan to sit on shore if the ice allows this.

I am expecting to put the boat in the river, to round the corner and hit ice....I am not going to break ice for 2 miles to get there. If that is the case the river should be snapping.

I've broken ice in my canoe on some pretty big water. I was alone with my hound and I stayed close to shore but I was beginning to get a tad nervous as the ice crept out from the reeds, into the decs and out into the lake. Nothing was flying so it was an easy decision to pull up about 8am. Broke skim ice all the way and when I got to the landing it was 1/2 inch thick!!!!! Pretty scary. But I'd do it again. Those can be the best hunts. In fact I might just go again this weekend too.

I'm kicking this around for tomorrow. I look outside and the snow is flying in sideways. Aerial counts this past weekend were high, but maybe the timing will bite me in teh behind again as things freeze up. Gotta find big water I guess.

Be safe everyone.

Cold hasn't stopped me before especially with under a week left in the season. You can bet i'll be out there. Hopefully it'll snow also.

Just came in from outside...it is not very nice out. I just put my little boat inside my bigger boat. I am 99% sure that many of the medium size lakes in the Bemidji area will be pretty well frozen in the morning. Lake Bemidji, Winnie, Leech, Cass, and Upper Red most likely will make it through.

I was planning on going to Turtle River Lake which has some ice in the bays I was going to hunt last weekend. If she calms down she will freeze. My steps are still in the lake at my cabin on Plantagenet. I think I will go and pull them out and put the boats away. I will however bring my shotgun and the dog to pass shoot at some of those goldeneyes that will surely pass by.

I think the next two nights will lock us up here. Good luck to you southern guys.

The other half is letting me out of the house "as long as I'm back by 11." With the wind, snow, and cold, They'll hopefully be flying low.

I'm throwing my hat back in the ring for a different spot that might get protected somewhat and has some depth.

Good luck all, stay safe-the water is cold, the air is cold, the winds are fierce, and no one should get iced in or worse.

Happy Thanksgiving.

I've been waiting for this time of year.

I will be out, gotta love when the water freezes to everything it gets on. You just have to be very careful. Was out this morning getting a few greenheads and the action should be better yet tomorrow.

The only thing that should keep someone inside tomorrow is a promise to two of his three girls, and trust me, I'm thinking about breaking it cool.gif

The other girl is busting at the seams since she smelled the wind this morning!

She'll likely have to wait until Saturday, but it's good to know I've got company wink.gif

Just got home from hunting the minnesota river, went from 7-8;30 didnt see a duck, only 2 geese, last sat and sunday there were hundeds and hundreds of gadwalls and mallards, every thing gone today. Im trying it sat and sunday, and thats it for me, had a pretty decent season. smile.gif

Pimple, I hope you are right about northern mn freezing. From what I have seen lately is not good. Hoefully some new birds will push into the area this weekend for one last sha-bang grin.gif

Saw a lot of mallards but had to get going pretty early for family festivities. Of course they poured in once we had the decoys pulled and headed out.

It's fun to be out, watching snow fly and ice freeze and a wind push in a few flocks.

Lakes have been freezing in the Bemidji Area...I have not checked too many of them but I did see that Lake Irving is totally locked up. Bemidji, which is a big and deep lake has ice around the edges in protected bays. Still good numbers of Goldeneyes, bills, swans and honkers on the open water.

Quote:

I've broken ice in my canoe on some pretty big water. I was alone with my hound and I stayed close to shore but I was beginning to get a tad nervous as the ice crept out from the reeds, into the decs and out into the lake. Nothing was flying so it was an easy decision to pull up about 8am. Broke skim ice all the way and when I got to the landing it was 1/2 inch thick!!!!! Pretty scary. But I'd do it again. Those can be the best hunts. In fact I might just go again this weekend too.

Canoes are fine for breaking ice...if it gets too thick, you just get out and walk it...if the ice breaks, jump in the boat and get back to paddling.

Our water spots are devoid of ducks, but we have hope-- the fields we have access to are stacking up with both ducks and geese. So, the weekend looks promising.

Good luck to the rest of the diehards!

1" of ice this morning. Saw some flocks of geese, but not the mallards I saw yesterday. I'm convinced that if I had 2.5-3 extra hours yesterday morning before I had to leave for the family festivities I would have had the best shooting of the year. Mallards were coming in from all corners.

Was hoping for more of same today but she was locked up.

I put the shell box and camo life jacket up in the rafters. I will do the late goose thing and maybe some field hunts if the opportunity comes but for all intents and purposes I'm afraid my season's done.

WE hunted Waconia today, after buddies saw good numbers yesterday. We ended up with one beautiful drake goldeneye, but that was it. Saw some birds, but not that many. Lots of geese, but they knew exactly where they were going, right to a beach smile.gif

I will say this, there were some of the biggest and nastiest waves we have seen all year, including fishing season. Not bad in AM, but by noon it was howling. We had to make a couple shuttle trips, and we have a 16' boat with 50hp, and I wouldn't have wanted anytthing less, and would have liked more. Anyway, be careful anybody going out, wear your kill switches. We closed the season today, an average season with a couple reall good hunts, and many average hunts. But all of them were priceless smile.gif

Bring on the ice! cool.gif