Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
uwecsteeple

Winter line care?

2 posts in this topic

With this being my first year flyfishing I have no idea what to do to my fly equipment over the winter. Is there anything I should do to my line? I have heard that people store fly line off the reel when they are not using it, should I do that too? why? Right now my plan is to store the line right on the reel.

I have also seen people stretching there line before fishing, what the heck is that for? Should I also be doing that?

THanks much for any help!

Folk's will stretch their fly line to reduce it's tendency to coil. I do this with leaders all the time, less so with the fly line as mine generally don't have a tendency to coil.

As for the care and feeding of your reels. I wash, clean, dry, and lube my reels. Strip off the line (wind on to a spool) and then rewind the line, cleaning as I go. I also clean my rods and grips and make any notes as to damage that needs fixing. Then it's on to tying up a bunch of flies to get ready for spring.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• ZachD
      Well never made it to Monticello but did make it to the rum 2 smallies one 17inch and one 14 inch One on float and fly black and blue jig other on a white berkley gulp jerk shad.   And you can target walleyes and smallies every winter with a long rod you just need to know where to go
    • monstermoose78
      Welcome1hillbilly1
    • 1hillbilly1
      Hi all new to the forum, only have 2 days left for fishing the elusive eyes.  Any input on depths and lakes to go on in the Detroit Lakes area would be great
    • KidMoe
      I'm thinking the same thing!  When will I get another chance to target walleyes and bass with a long rod in February!
    • loadmaster
      Was up yesterday.  Tried going out of Stoney Point the sand landing is undo able ice ridge out a ways and did not see any tracks going out.  The boat launch has a pressure ridge in front and looked like ATV were following the ridge  toward the point.\ There were two trucks out there no idea how they got there.  we finally went out of Pine Point.  Ice conditions are perfect. No slush no water on the road,   You cannot get out to the trench from here ice heave between. We drilled some holes and a lot of  5 inch perch. When we were going out we asked if the tullies were biting,and he said no  not yet Seems to shallow out any where out there. The was in excellent shape as a lot of wheel houses were coming out.  4 wheel drive was not used all day.  Ice cleats would have been nice to have.Hope this helps