Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
uwecsteeple

Winter line care?

2 posts in this topic

With this being my first year flyfishing I have no idea what to do to my fly equipment over the winter. Is there anything I should do to my line? I have heard that people store fly line off the reel when they are not using it, should I do that too? why? Right now my plan is to store the line right on the reel.

I have also seen people stretching there line before fishing, what the heck is that for? Should I also be doing that?

THanks much for any help!

Folk's will stretch their fly line to reduce it's tendency to coil. I do this with leaders all the time, less so with the fly line as mine generally don't have a tendency to coil.

As for the care and feeding of your reels. I wash, clean, dry, and lube my reels. Strip off the line (wind on to a spool) and then rewind the line, cleaning as I go. I also clean my rods and grips and make any notes as to damage that needs fixing. Then it's on to tying up a bunch of flies to get ready for spring.