Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBMasterAngler

Hardwater Means Whitefish!

6 posts in this topic

It's been awhile since I've fished leech through the ice...have had fairly good success with whitefish on the main lake, but had always stumbled upon them accidentally. Now I'd actually like to target them specifically...what locations/depths/tactics usually work for them? I've caught them both day and night as well, does 1 time work better than the other?

use to fish them about 8 years ago. got tired of eating smoked fish.heard they arent near as plentiful anymore. was a great time when they were biting, good luck if you go.

I seen on the lake finder that whitefish were being stocked in leech. Why is the population going down? Could it be commercial overharvest? Cormorants? Or heaven forbid...global warming?

Late season around the ice ridges off of Stoney Point.

Used to be lots of people chasing them, but kind of dicey

around the ice heaves. I like to stay dry so I stopped going

out there. If you see something up high on your FL8, reel

us and it is usually a white fish. Good Luck

i heard its a combination of issues. serios overfishing with no limit controls back when people took garbage cans full home. another reason i heard is low water levels and water to warm, they died off. i have a friend that had a boat in a marina and when it got rell hot literally thousands went belly up.i assume you are including tullibbee in this category.

Sure, tullibees and whitefish...I've only caught whitefish though. Well, maybe I'll just go with catching them "accidentally" again. There's plenty of other things to fish for up there.