• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

door panel removal ?

fishinJohn

Question

My inside door handle broke on a 98 k1500 so I bought the replacement assembly. I removed the screws in the door and freed the plastic holders around the door edges but somewhere in the middle of the door near the assembly I want to replace there is something holding the door panel on. Pulling did not make any plastic clips let loose. Any advice for getting this off? I don't see anything like a screw and the molding around the door handle assembly won't pry off, at least not easily. Thanks for any help you can give me.

5 answers to this question

There is usually a screw behind the door handle bezel

and there is a plug in the pull handle that has a screw behind it. Remove the door handle bezel. Remove the window regulator handle, as necessary. Disconnect the power accessory switch mounting panel wiring connector, as necessary. Remove the trim panel upper extension.

Using a flat blade tool, carefully pry off the trim panel armrest screw cover in order to access the screw.

Remove the trim panel armrest screw.

Disconnect the courtesy light connector, if necessary.

Remove the trim panel from the door.

Remove the courtesy lamp lens or the reflector.

Pull the retainers from the slot in the trim panel.

Remove the retainers.

John:

If your K1500 door is like my 98 Tahoe I found a good sized (3") plastic stud right about the area you are talking. About the center of the door this thing pushes in.

Might be differnt I'm not sure but its close to the handle retainer area towards the dash side.

The trim piece around the handle has to come off. If I remeber right there is a screw behind it just in front of the lock button.

there might be one or two under the power switch assembly. This will pop out as well.

1gcek14r7wz2098677jv4.jpg

There will be one pop rivet that holds the inside door lever in place. A 1/4" or bigger will do the trick. Once the rivet is out the whole assembly will push forward the pop out.

I had the same thing happen a few years back on my '98. Went to the dealer, and they had 5 of them in stock. They said it happens all of the time with these trucks. If I remember correctly you don't need to remove the whole door panel, just the handle cover, as it comes a a complete unit, handle, and cover one piece. Don't hold me to this, but I recall it to be a very easy fix.

Now I did have to pull the door cover on my 2003 silverado 3/4 ton. That was a big hassle, hope to never have to do that again.

That trim piece was a pain! I never found a screw so I ended up pulling until a couple of plastic clips/holders on the trim piece broke. The rest was pretty easy and an auto body shop had some replacement plastic pins. I think I was lucky because the plastic trim went back on even though some of the holding parts were broken. I was going to consider replacing that part but I guess it is fine and will make replacing next one a little easier smile.gif. One of those wiring connectors was pretty tough to disconnect. Every time I fix something I gain new respect for those that do it for a living. Most recent was some plumbing, I kept drawing water with the heat of the torch.