• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thanksgiving Night

Bobby Bass

It starts the night before, perhaps out in the kitchen as the gals gather after dinner to wash dishes and store left over turkey fixings in the fridge. Stacked neatly on the shelves are bags of veggies and square storage containers of turkey and dressing and stuffing and what is left of the sliced ham. In a few hours it will all be back on the counter as they guys will rise during half time of the football game looking for something to tide them over till later on in the night. The men folk watch football games and take naps on the couches. The kids rough house with the dogs and maybe one or two guys are actually interested in the game but only because they have fantasy teams. The ladies will gather and sipping some boxed red wine they will start to compare their battle plans for the following morning. With even more attention then the guys spend on fishing opener or deer season they will go over there plans. If you enter the kitchen the room grows quiet as you know they are talking about you or your present. They never confined in me and usually someone sits on the stool by the door to act as a lookout.

Around two A.M. the following morning the bed will get lighter as she rolls out and makes her way in the darkness to the bathroom. Clothes have already been laid out the night before. All around the lake and I am sure in your neighborhood to the lights will start to come on. First in bedrooms then in the bathroom and then down in the kitchen. Shortly after that garage doors will open and a cascade of trucks, cars and station wagons will start the trek towards town. A strange site this early in the morning with all the headlights heading towards town. Once in a great while a lone car will be seen heading the other way. By dawn parking lots will be full of cars and women will be at the front doors of stores waiting for them to open and for the assault on there shelf's.

On the way in gas stations are hit hard by lady shoppers looking for the morning paper and last minute sale flyers. The cappuccino machine chugging away as they fill cups to keep hands warm during their waits. The dount cabinet is empty with nothing but crumbs left for the regulars that will stop later on there way to work. Every year it seems to get earlier and earlier. I can remember when eight A.M. was the time to be at a store, now some are open at midnight. Not safe to be between a bear and her cub? Try a woman and a end cap of sale items at half price! If you are a guy you stand back and keep your hands to yourself. Later in the afternoon she will return, making endless trips to the truck to return with packages and boxes and plastic bags. Somewhere in the cabin everything disappears to and in a few moments quiet has return and she will sit in the kitchen with a cup of tea and a pile of receipts. Her check list will be in front of her and she will be making marks and notations on it's margin. Don't even think of trying to look over her shoulder. If you must go in the kitchen just like a bear make sure she can hear you coming. Make small talk and retreat with what ever you need. Perhaps some of the turkey from the day before and a slice of pie from the one the grandkid stuck his finger in.

The phone will start ringing then and she will make small talk with her mother and sisters about how they did and what they still need and what they missed. I guess it is a lot like fishing opener. We tend to come home tired and hungry with a sense of fulfillment and we don't talk to much unless something really good has happen that day. Well maybe we grunt some and moan a little about the weather and how it was in days past. Now that I think of it the wife is not around much after openers. She does just make a little small talk and then leaves me to my thoughts. I guess Christmas shopping can be a lot like fishing, just have to be at the right place at the right time.. From Lake Iwanttobethere Have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving

grin.gif

True, true... Wifey thinks I am nuts getting up for ducks or fish in the early AM, but she must be hitting those same Lake Iwantobethere sales, as she is planning to be at the first store at 4am. Hehe, whether it is fish, ducks, deer or Christmas Presents, it is all about the "hunt". wink.gif

Very true. Love the bear analogies. What are the menfolk of Lakeiwanttobethere doing while they are gone? Grouse hunting?

A Post script to from the Cabin on the day after Thanksgiving would be that the menfolk of Lake Iwanttobethere lay about the cabin like you would picture the aftermath of a Roman toga party. Not as bad as a frat party as the ladies have picked up cans and left over plates of turkey bones and the dogs have cleaned the crumbs from the floor. But the men are in a post turkey day stupor. Having no memory of there wives leaving in the wee hours of the morning and if they agreed to let the wife use the " Rainy day credit card" Kids left in the care of their dad will have turkey sandwiches and pie for breakfast. Like a mans brunch each kid will be issued a fork or spoon and allowed to eat from the bowls of leftovers. No plates to clean up this way. When ma does return home the carpet will be sprawled with contented menfolk and dogs and college football.

So true, no plates to clean up if you eat from the dish,....or over the sink!

Brings a smile to my face, I guess most guys on here have a lot in common and not just on the lake but off it too.

lol great post....at first i was thinking the women were going deer hunting and it was some kind of mystical dream but then i realized it was the dreaded black friday...RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!! lol grin.gifgrin.gif

Read more about Lake Iwanttobethere at Outdoor Discussion, Clean-ups, and Agendas Fishing report for Lake Iwanttobethere grin.gif

• 1 year later...

Great post and last year I ventured out to get some deals and boy talk about a bear analogy...those sows are viscious.....I figured I survived so back at this Friday early am

forget watching football, time to go fishing.

Dunno bout the lakes in the Buffalo area but they are all froze over here. If there was even one that was open I would be going out duck hunting!

Hope that you all have a very Happy Thanksgiving! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Hiya Bobby!

I have 2 option for fishing, use the boat on Pulaski. Or Ice fish Pulaski. Not sure about some of the other lakes in the area. Several of the small lakes should be walkable.

• 11 months later...

BobbyBass, Have you heard the song "This Magic Moment"? MAN....This is IT!!! DON'T ask questions, take advantage of the situation!!The 'hens' are planning their shopping stradigy, You've gotta be prepared! Lake in mind, grassland to hunt, etc. She's just counting on you coming back with something like "Will you be home to make lunch"? so she can say "OH sure, I'll be home by 11 AM," Like Right!! After 38 years of 'bliss' I have "gleaned some smarts". ALWAYS HAVE A REHEARSED PLAN B!!!! HECK, If worst comes to worst, a good one is, that you need to 'Re-Primer your JEEP'!! gringrin Phred52