Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
muskiehunter369

tiger trout

13 posts in this topic

i was fly fishing on whitewater this spring and i landed a fish that looked like it was a cross of a rainbow and a brooky. it had the markings of a brooky but had the more silver color of a bow. is this a tiger trout. i was always told that a tiger was a brown and a brooky. or is the two kinds of tigers?

Did you get a pic of this mysterious fish then? The guy who holds the Tiger trout record for MN was a good friend of mine and they are a unqiue trout, they truly look like they have stripes thus "tiger trout". Anyway, not sure what that cross would be with a Rainbow and a Brook, did you contact anyone with DNR Fisheries? They might be able to help. I sure would like to see a pic of it.

there is a guy on an iowa outdoors site that guides in sw wisconsin. he catches alot of tigers and has several pic on his home page. his name is len something. if you go to that forementioned site, you can see lots of his tiger pics.

So is there diferent Tiger Types? I was only aware of the Brown and Brookie cross. I will have to check his site out. They seem to have an interesting history. I heard that MN used to breed to produce them, but they are sterile fish and cannot reproduce on their own so it is no longer done. It is a rare catch for someone to get one here in MN, as far as I know of. Does WI do something different that they have so many more of them?

i looked at the pictures of some tiger trout and they have the same markings but they are orange and brown. my fish is more silver and a black back with silver brooky makings.im trying post the pic but my computer is fighting me. i can send it in an e mail if you would like to see it.

If you send it to me, I can post it for you.

See email below

That would be great if you have a pic. Have you had a chance to send it to Tyler? He is great at posting pics. I am very interested in seeing this fish. Have you contacted the DNR yet? It would be interesting to see what they have to say about it as well.

fish hunter,

if you are interested in seeing len's site,

he goes by the handle of homewaters on (Contact Us Please).

you'll see him all over the trout section. i'd love to have him guide me sometime

Brook trout normally spawn after brown trout in late fall, but there is some overlap between the brown trout that spawn late and brook trout that spawn early so that is how you can get a cross between those two. Rainbow trout on the other hand spawn in the spring so I don't think there is any natural way for a brook trout and rainbow trout to cross breed. Brown trout coloration can vary significantly based on food source, time of year, water clarity etc so I suspect it was just related to one or more of those factors.

tiger_trout.jpg

geez that thing kinda looks like a devil trout

I've caught a couple tiger trout and that one looks like the ones I've caught except the color is "washed out". They tend to get a washed out color in dirty water or when they have been out of the water for awhile.

Yeah, that looks like one, but your right Mark it does look washed out. They are real neat looking fish, too bad there aren't more of them out there. Hey Looking California I will try to do a search on him I would like to check his website out. That was very good info too Mark on the spawning of trout. cool.gif