Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dahitman44

Fishhouse Fan idea??????

12 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone tried this type of fan and if it would work well enough?

How about a computer-style 5 inch square fan. Looks like the kind that can do in your computer?

Found one for $7 plus shipping.

It is a 12 volt DC runs at 2000 rpm has a small rwaw -- .15 amps.

I run my LED lights and hopefully this fan off of a vexilar battery?

Any thoughts?

thanks

Hit.

I think we found ours at NAPA, and they were also for a car and work great, the swivel and move side to side to move the air in all directions. And have attachments for the wall to hang them. Just an idea.

They were also in the $7 range If I remember right. Theve been going for a couple years now anyway. Have them connected to a switch that has a high and low on it. Then that to the battery.

Dragon -

How big are they and how much air do they move and how much power do they take?

A lot of Qs -- I know.

If the fan you are looking at only draws .15 amps it would run for somewhere around 42 hours on a 7 amp vex battery. I have been looking at some options for my portable to replace the battery operated fan that I use and I think I am going to go with a computer fan. If you have LED lights and the fan you should have no problem running both off a small battery and for 7 bucks if it doesn't work like you want you aren't out much.

Ya know, I dont really remember, there not very big around, they are in our fishouse at LOT woods so I dont get a chance to look at them too often. Dont remember the specs, but put it this way. Our house is over 18 ft by 9 ft and we have two fans and they keep it very warm down low.... We have to caterpillar batteries running the house so I dont know how much power they use up, But they are small, cheap, and work well so if your house is smaller then our they seem to work well.

I first tried the 12 volt clamp on style you can buy anywhere, about 8-10 inches across. They are loud and don't move much air at all, along with drawing a lot of juice. I just purchased 3 3.5" X 3.5" 12 volt computer style fans that I will splice into the wire going to my cieling lights. They move about 80 CFM and draw very little amperage. I think it will help a bunch with the cold floor/toasty cieling syndrome. We also added astro turf to the floor.

Just bought two of them.

Thanks guys.

Hit.

Wal-Mart had the small computerized fan on clearance a couple of weeks ago. They come with build in rechargeable batteries, can also run off c batteries and has a charger/adapter. It can conserve power by switching between the battery sources when not plugged in. I plan on using it in the ice house. I tried it out a few times and shut if off after 5 hours with it still running strong on the rechargable. You can't really hear it run, but it moves air well. A good purchase so far for $5.

Found a neat deal on-line for portables -- they have led lights with velcro that run on AAA batteries.

I am going to order a couple of those.

Hit, when you install the fans on your ceiling, make sure you leave at least an inch between the back of the fan and the ceiling, and make sure what ever you mount it to the ceiling with doesn't portrude to cover the back of the blade. If do, you will impede airflow A LOT. I learned this the hard way installing my 3 fans yesterday. I ended up using 2 1x1x1 inch pieces of wood for each fan at opposite corners to attach them to the cieling with 2.5 inch screw.

F-Dog --

Thanks for the heads up. I will remember that.

And yeah, I think I would have just attached them and not given the correct space. smirk.gif

If you get a chance could you post a pic of that set up. I need to put a fan and a light in my fish trap.