Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MuleShack

Early Ice Spots

11 posts in this topic

Wanted to see where all you guys/gals do your ealy ice fishing on the pond. Who has best luck and on what structure?

Last year, i was out there on Dec 11th walking out from Rocky reef on 4-6" of ice.

I kept going out of there until after new years, then i switched over to the east side.

I did pretty well on the rock humps and off the edges. Each time up i caught minimum 3 fish and at least one was between 25 and 26 (nothing bigger) and then smaller ones during the day. The big fish always came around a 2 hour period around sunset. The rest were sporadic and had to move around to get action.

How many of you fish the north sand for early ice? Is that productive as well or is the rock structure the only place to be for the early period?

When I drive across Hwy 18 in the winter it's dead up there. I've always wanted to know if anybody does any good up there but its structureless. I usually don't mess around with that area until opener when fish are staging there post-spawn.

I like to work rocks and bottom changes in early ice. I can't move far far out anyways so I have to key in on what I have to work with.

another good spot is close to appeldoorns/cedar creek access/doe island. same goes there with the break at the 2 hour peak.

regards,

minnesotatuff

TO, mind if I send you an email as well?

Thanks

By all means.

MuleShack, I'm no ice fishing expert on Mille, but we have done pretty well off the North End break early before the traffic starts to flow out of the resorts. Also out of the South end bays like Isle and Wakhon.

Tuff,

I worked the doe reef area in January last year, didn't make it over there in Dec. Still did ok.

I had a nice hump over there that produced only when there was a south wind confused.gif...go figure.

thats weird, you wouldnt think wind direction would make a difference with ice on the lake? maybe it was the low pressure??

regards,

minnesotatuff

Other than a day or two here and there, I don't leave Lyback's until mid-January.

I usually wait until I can get a wheeler out to the mud. This year I will try walking out to some rock humps somewhere.