Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shadrapla

fishing

5 posts in this topic

I plan to fishing this weekend

What is your suggest where my kids and I go to lake for crappies or bluegills

Thanks

Crappies are few and far to come by but a nice little sunfish lake would be Clear Lake at Glen, Minnesota. Take 47 north to Malmo on the Northeast corner of Mille Lacs and drive 6 miles further on 47. Buy your bait at Malmo though. DO NOT EVER BUY BAIT AT THE GLEN STORE!

There is public access to Clear Lake on the East side of the lake.

Clear Lake is not known for big crappies but you can get some decent size sunnies and perch and otehr pan fish. I am not saying there aren't any crappies of course, just that they are few and far between.

Good Luck! Hope you and your kids have a nice time!

this may be a better option.

FHPposter071.jpg

UncleKes - I was just wondering why you said "never buy bait at the Glen Store". Not trying to start anything with you just curious why you would say that. To be honest with you, I spent my last $$ ever at the bait shop/gas station whatever store on the east side of 47 - I HATE when you buy a dozen minnows and they count every single minnow!

Feet Down: I had a long converstaion with sdomeone in the forum about 2 months back on this very subject. The Glen Store has a very Very VEWRY limited amount of bait. Mostly small suckers and crappie minnows and a few crawlers thrown in for good measure. They actually DO count every last minnow that goes into the bucket there. See3 the forum marked CLEAR LAKE if you want more information. Botht he gas staion general store and the store accross the street next tot he restaurant carry a full line of fresh bait. I meant no disparagement against the Glen strore in my last post. Only that the bait is very limited.

The owner is new and he has not invested in bait tanks and filters and pumps and the like to keep a full oline of bait. I suspect that he is more interested in pumping gas and selling groceries and liquor than he is in the odd crawler or minnow.

We all have to make a living as best we can and my impression is that until bait starts to pay off better for him he won't invest in the equipment or the stock.