Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hooked_on_Salmo_Lures

STRIKE MASTER,....Deal,.....or,......No Deal???

5 posts in this topic

Hello all,.

I know this would be better fitting in the ice fishing forum,...but i wanted to get some oppinions from guys a little closer to home first. I'm looking to buy a 8" strike master gas auger from a buddy at work. He says its about 5 yrs old, gentally and raerly used due to him having a new fam of his own,..he also said that it had not been used much if at all in the last two yrs, and is asking $150 for it,...not sure of any other specs about it,...but i am going to look at it this wensday. to me, $150 for a strike master sounds like a good deal,..but i have only had one gas auger,..and just got that last year,..a buddy, who lives two hrs north north west of roch and i went 50-50 on it,...well you know how those things go,....so i want one of my own and know little about them,....am i going to run into any kind of trouble with gaskets or rough starting,...i know it will prob need a tune up and maybee a carb cleaning,...but is there any thing that i should be leary of due to two yrs of virtually no use??? i'm just on a tight budget and don't want to spend 150 for the auger,..and another 150 to get it working,..could have had a new one for that price,....and seeing how i did the whole cammera vs flasher @$$ backwards,...i'm try'n to fit one of those into this years ice budget as well,...so ANY comments would be very much appricated!!! thanks in advance!!!

One more quick question,...does any one know where i could take a strike master auger to get it a tune up here in rochester fair price/good work? recomendations?

Can't recommend anybody in Roch but if you ever make to the NW TC burbs, Strikemaster is located in Big Lake, 20 miles from Cabelas in Rogers. They'll tune it up while you wait and reasonably.

I take that kinda stuff to a guy in Zumbrota--very fair priced-- email me if you want the business name and number.

mkendall@crossroadscollege.edu

Check out the cutting blades on it, I am sure they will need replacing. Also if you can wait, I would say I want to "test drive" it. Wait till ice season and take it out for a trip or two to see how it runs. Make sure the guy always used blended gas. I have heard of some people, well only one actually, that didn't run blended gas. Unfortunately the gaskets and things like that you probably won't be able to tell right away without a trained professional. But by maybe taking it out for a couple of test runs you could possibly see an major kind of leaks.

Thanks for all the input guys,...I did end up buying it,..really good shape,...he did a good job preping it for storage, dropped some gas in it,..took a few pulls to get the gas running through every thing, but it started fine ran fine,.... nice and clean too! Its a lazer mag express tc 2 8",...no ice to try it on yet though crazy.gif Has any one had one of these? any problems with em? thanks again for the in-put

P.s., Hardwaterjigin, you got mail grin.gif