• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Oil leak = intake manifold???

LwnmwnMan2

Question

Took my minivan in today (yes, I'll admit one vehicle is a minivan, unlike my wife wants to) to have the oil changed and checked for oil leaks.

No external leaks were found, but I'm losing about a quart of oil every 1000 miles.

Does this pretty much lean towards work on the intake manifold??

2005 Chrysler T&C, 3.8L

15 answers to this question

Not likely. I did some quick searching and it looks like it is a fairly common thing with the newer 3.8. If somebody knows of a resolution other than starting with a PVC valve I'm sure they will chime in. Otherwise I'll check to see if there are any TSB's when I get to work tomorrow.

How many miles on the town and country?

I would say there is not much you can do.

Manufacture will not even repair anything untill you start getting to a quart under 700 miles (at least Ford).

Is there any large amounts of smoke out tail pipe? Can you smell oil burning?

Quote:

How many miles on the town and country?

I would say there is not much you can do.

Manufacture will not even repair anything untill you start getting to a quart under 700 miles (at least Ford).

Is there any large amounts of smoke out tail pipe? Can you smell oil burning?

No smoke at all, no burning smell at all. Also, 61k miles, just started doing it at about 55k miles.

It's got the 70k powertrain warranty, so I've got to figure it out pretty quick if I can get it covered under warranty.

A quart every 1,000 miles is common exceptable standard. Whether or not chrysler thinks it is excessive and do something about it is up to chrysler, but It can't hurt to ask.

Do you bring it to them for routine maintenance?

Quote:

This will be the key of getting something done under warranty.

If you are under a power train warranty, I would bring it in ASAP (pay for another oil change) and start an oil consumption test.

What will happen is they change oil and mark drain plug and document oil level was set at full. Then you go out and drive for awhile and when oil starts to get low, (DO NOT FILL UP) head back to dealer and have them fill up and document. If done correctly and enough evidence is found, a tear down of eng. will be auth. threw Chrysler. This will all depend upon the dealership and or manager, but it spells nice money for service department because of the claim amount charged to manufacture.

I would not delay. Do it today. Even though, it might never end up being nothing more than oil consumption. If you have a window of getting it covered, take that window and run with it.

Quote:

A quart every 1,000 miles is common exceptable standard. Whether or not chrysler thinks it is excessive and do something about it is up to chrysler, but It can't hurt to ask.

No, we do our own maintenance / run Amsoil.

We've been down this road in the past with the local dealer, have had MANY discussions about using non-Mopar lubricants / filters, and have had other issues covered under warranty.

If it's "normal", then I'm not going to worry about it.

If it's something out of the ordinary, then I'd bring it in.

However, if it's something that can't be nailed down right away, and it's a "seek and destroy" type situation, I'm not about to put the money into labor for that.

If it is a Chrysler contract, you are ok. If it is an aftermarket extended power train warranty, you are out on a limb for awhile.

The Chrysler power train warranty will cover anything once eng. is cracked open (unless something foreign is found).

If you run amsoil, you are going to have an up hill battle with dealer. They will also possibly say synthetic oil will burn a little more or its the cause of the concern (even when not).

If it isn’t broke, I would not have it fixed. But, you paid for a warranty, which you should be entitled to use. Remember, 9 times out of 10, the dealer ship is on your side and would like to push threw a repair or a reman eng... It spells out money for service department. But again, this would be up to the Service Manager and his relationship with the manufacture.

Good luck!

Quote:

I'll check to see if there are any TSB's when I get to work tomorrow.

We need to chip in and get a AirJer a copy of Mitchel OD for home use.... grin.gif

Mine only goes to 02.... wink.gif

Quote:

If somebody knows of a resolution other than starting with a PVC valve I'm sure they will chime in.

For some reason, I have a thought about a redesigned vent tube and PVC elbow. If no one comes forward with a TSB, I will make some calls to see if an updated PVC hose and elbow applies to this model.

Pier, my all data ran out and expired. My Mitchell on Demand is a library of dusty old books going up to about 95. grin.gif

It would be nice for Airjer to have access to this (if he already does not). But I am sure like me, he knows someone with it or can find out at work or a couple of phone calls.

Quote:

If it is a Chrysler contract, you are ok. If it is an aftermarket extended power train warranty, you are out on a limb for awhile.

The Chrysler power train warranty will cover anything once eng. is cracked open (unless something foreign is found).

If you run amsoil, you are going to have an up hill battle with dealer. They will also possibly say synthetic oil will burn a little more or its the cause of the concern (even when not).

If it isn’t broke, I would not have it fixed. But, you paid for a warranty, which you should be entitled to use. Remember, 9 times out of 10, the dealer ship is on your side and would like to push threw a repair or a reman eng... It spells out money for service department. But again, this would be up to the Service Manager and his relationship with the manufacture.

Good luck!

The warranty is the standard 7 year / 70k mile that was factory back in 2005. Then they dropped back to the 3/36.

Now, if it gets to be too much here before Feb., and nothing can be done about it, I might just dump it for an '08 and get the lifetime warranty.

Yes, I realize it's $500-1000 once I'm past the 70k, more if the engine goes, instead of a new vehicle, but there's something to be said about having no warranty down the road, and running new with the lifetime warranty.

We need to chip in and get a AirJer a copy of Mitchel OD for home use.... grin.gif

Mine only goes to 02.... wink.gif

Feel Free to send donations to..... grin.gif

I am working on that!!

Quote:

Are you using the preferred oil viscosity?

On the cap it says 5-20, but in the book it gives you a range. I use 5-30.

There where no oil consumption TSB's on Mitchell. I am confident chrysler is aware of the issue.

If you go to the dealer for an oil consumption test, they will almost certainly test with OEM oil of the preferred viscosity.

At least that's how it works for our equipment when there is an oil consumption concern.