• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anybody been out lately?

Just wondering if there any die-hards out there having any luck fishing pool 2? smile.gif

Was hoping to make it down by the Ford Dam area over Thanksgiving weekend. Have a couple of bonus days off from work too. Looks to be quite cool. Gotta be better than the last time down there when the river was raging. Bankers hours might be in order.

I've been on the croix the last few weekends. I have seen a few boats out there c'mon guys any luck?

I was out Friday from 2-7 at hidden falls and it was pretty slow. Between 2 of us we scored 4 smaller eyes and a sucker. The water is still flowing pretty good (at least compared to last year at this time). I dont know if the bite was slow because of the higher water, or because we could reach the fish because they are hiding out in deeper water, or the fact the I dont know what I'm doing! laugh.gif

This is a great time to get out there, went out mon. got 3 fish over 5lb 1 almost 10lb. there real scaterd though. theres not much current so finding them can be hard, but once you do it's worth it. Big flats seamed to do the trick for me cant tell ya were, that be to easy. Also Red wing is hoppen went there Sat. and Sun.

Sat. me and a friend caught over 80 wallys and saugers and I caught my self a 30.1lb Flat head it was a blast.

God Bless

and

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone

GOOD FISHING cool.gif

uwec, walleye guy, thanks for the report guys. I wish the boat wasn't in storage. I agree, I think this is by far, the best time to fish the river. Good luck and keep reeling em'in

Like Soul mentioned, thanks for the posts. It's a toss up at this point. May hit the river, but the muskies have been a drawing me in lately.

There's just never enough time. tongue.gif

Made it out on the river yesterday. It was a decent numbers day. A buddy and I probably caught 20-30 walleye around 12ft with jig and minnow. They were all 7"-8". Would have figured a bigger fish would have eventually showed itself.

Fun nonetheless. Looking at the forecasted weather, the next time I'll be wetting a line will be through the ice.

glad you were able to get out and catch some fish last weekend Marc. Had too many coals on the fire last week to try and meet up. You know how that goes. Plus the old man isn't as hardcore as I am (aside from the fact that he lives in HI). maybe next time

No problem DH. One of these maybe we'll meet up...hopefully on the ottertail for a mixed bag 'o fish.

Tried to fly it on Pool 2 some with no success. Didn't give it a persistant effort. Just wasn't confident I was close enough to bottom as the fish were in 12'-13' of water. Need to aclimate to flying the bigger river systems. Sink tips, or full sinking lines may be in order.

Later.

Marc

you're welcome to stay at my place anytime you want to hit the OT (warmer weather is preferable wink.gif)

Quote:

Need to aclimate to flying the bigger river systems. Sink tips, or full sinking lines may be in order.

sometimes you just need to chuck some lead out there too. One thing I notice, even with full sinking type V or VI lines, is that the resistance of the water against the line will create drag and actually lift your line up in the water column.

I picked up a 6 wt Type 6 Rio Density Compensated Full Sinking Line at the Great Lakes Fly Co in Duluth this summer. never had a chance to spool it up this year, as I did not get out much, and when I did I was throwing my 9 wt around. The diametetr on this line is skinny, so I bet there is minimal drag on it in the water. I'll have to give it a try this spring when fishing the sucker run. If it passes grade, then I'll have to pick up the 9 wt version. If all else fails, I've got some clousers I tied that will work, I'll have to pass a couple your way, so you can see how they fish.

Was using a heavier than average clouser, with a longer leader, but still didn't feel it ticking bottom. Was fishing in some slack water, but the river is still moving pretty good, so that may have contributed to keeping it off bottom.

Let me know how that line works out for ya. Haven't dabbled much in sinking lines quite yet.

Would love to see the clousers...anything to keep the generation of fly ideas rolling is good.

Quote:

you're welcome to stay at my place anytime you want to hit the OT (warmer weather is preferable
wink.gif
)

Warm weather is a must! I like to ice fish as much as the next guy, but I'd much rather be casting in open water!

I was out there over the weekend... I was just on shore, throwing a heavey sinker and a bunch of night crawlers on a hook..... I did well with this... Caught tons of fish... Mostly rough fish and catfishes only though, but the action was non stop...

On Sunday I took Shepherd Road to the Wild game & was surprised to see how much ice there was on Pool 2. It was almost locked up from the Ford Dam to downtown St. Paul.