• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice fishin' the Red and its tribs

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scoot

• icehole10

• Ray1

• DEADhead

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I've dinked around a little bit. No big reports from me though. I had a buddy do very well a week or so ago in holes that I got shut out at two days before. Go figure... I might pretend to be tough this weekend and give it a shot, despite the cold weather. We'll see...

Any hot reports from out your way?

not really. I think some of the shallow lakes are beginning to see depleted DO levels. We had a heck of a time trying to find panfish and perch on HoL last weekend. If the winter continues as is, we may get a decent winterkill this year.

If you get out this weekend and find a spot with a bunch of redhorse or suckers or even carp, let me know. I'd like to try and ice some of them.

Heres a couple of pics from saturday on the red. Ray and his first eye caught through the ice on the red. Notice the lure, thanks to ed on that one. It was extemely cold but it was worth the frost bite grin.gif

100_0109.jpg

got to throw in one of the setup. As you can see by the frost on the inside of the house it was plenty cold!

100_0110.jpg

we did also caught one 16 inch sauger and a bunch of goldys

Yeah you could say that! It wasn't bad until we had to leave. It was a long trip off the river.

Guest Anonymous

Your tellin me. I was the one with no face shield as we were driving down the river. Good thing you stuck with them chubby darters there Icehole. ha ha

Your tellin me you Icehole. I was the one with no face shield. Next time maybe youll stick with that old chubby for a bit longer. By the way was your foot a little wet from that hole you fell in ? Ha Ha

Great work, fellas! I chickened out and went and chased coyotes instead. I could stay a lot warmer trudging through the snow after them than I could sittin on a bucket on the ice (no way for me to get a house to the spots I wanted to fish).

Good work and thanks for posting the pics!

Nope. We called in one dog at the end of the night- came in on a rope. However, I had a shotgun and my buddy had a rifle. He didn't see it for over 30 seconds while it sat and looked from 100 yards. Bummer... woulda been a chipshot for him. He then started to come in, but winded us and boogied outta there in a blink. So... no shooting, but a good time.

Nice eye Ray...that was the same color chubby I was using friday when I caught mine, and my portable turned pretty frosty too! Were you fishing in the same area we were at friday afternoon...up north? We might be back in that same area this weekend if we don't make it out west yote hunting. ~Jeremy

Guest Anonymous

Jeremy

No I was a little further North, but i might try that spot you were at this weekend. It would be a shorter drive than were i went to on sat. Did you end up going yote hunting on saturday or not?

Good going toughing it out in those nice temps/conditions. And a BIG congrats to both fisher and photo guy on the Walter.. That is the first pic of a US side winter caught Red River Walleye posted here in a looong time.. Maybe ever!

Keep the reports coming and welcome to you newer folks too.

Regards....fiskyknut

I actually only made it out for one set sunday evening and it was about 200 yds from my parents house back home. It took me 20 minutes and I was back with a yote!! It was way too easy, but ya gotta love the cold temps!! Last night would of been the time to be out with the moon light and cold temps!

Well Icehole and I made it down to the river again last night and caught over 200 goldeyes. I managed to land a nice fat 28 inch walleye around 7:00 pm and a 14 inch sauger 5 minutes after that.Ill let Icehole fill in the rest of the story. Ill try to get the picture of that 28 incher on here today sometime.

Heres a picture of rays big catch. Notch up another one for the chubby darter!

100_0114.jpg

Thought I would throw one in of my big catch. First cat for me through the ice.

100_0112.jpg

Great work, fellas! You accomplished two things I haven't been able to this winter- a pig walleye and a catfish through the ice. Great job and thanks for posting the pics.

Bowhuntz, I'm going to throw my GPS into the back of your pickup next time I see you with that sled hooked up. Have you been out in the DL area at all?

Bowhuntz is just a little jealous that he has to drive 5 hours to catch one like mine.LOL. Good luck up in LOW.But thanks for grabbing that big girl as she came up.

Good to hear from you Levi. I was starting to wonder if you were still alive. I suppose you've been to busy chasing yotes. Get ahold of ray or me and we will hook up some weekend.

Good Walleye guys, nice roundy.

And yet another FM photo first, an ice caught US side Red River Catfish!

fiskyknut

Thanks fisky.

Levi, I think you are just wipped,and cant come out and play with the boys. Youre pobably hanging decorations and doing the honey do list around the house.LOL. Well we will have to go out one of these weekends if you can get out of the house with your pants on.HA