• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

When was drivable ice on Mille Lacs last year

daveyred

In laws are coming to town at x-mas and I am thinking of a ice fishing couple of nights. Wondering how far north I will have to go. Is Mille Lacs a safe bet by x-mas or do I have to head north further? Thanks for the help.

I would check with the local resorts around the 10th of Dec. Mother nature determines when houses can go out. Usually by the 10th you can get a good idea of the weather forecast for the next two weeks and would be a good indicater if houses are able to make it out for X=mas.

Quote:

In laws are coming to town at x-mas and I am thinking of a ice fishing couple of nights. Wondering how far north I will have to go. Is Mille Lacs a safe bet by x-mas or do I have to head north further? Thanks for the help.

In my travels on MIlle Lacs Last year, it was a late year for ice. A couple bays were available for minimal car travel at that time, but the rest of the lake around then was either still open in places or was very risky for ATV or Snow travel to a couple miles out.

Check with the resort owners.

Nope, I will check with the resorts as it gets close was just looking fro what was the norm. Heard this year was suppose to be wetter which means more snow and less cold. Hope we get the good cold first. Thanks guys.

I was out there with my S-10 after the first of the year out of Agate Bay. I took a wheeler out sometime between Christmas and New Years out of Agate and a guy in a full size truck and a decent size wheelhouse pulled up and asked how we were doing. Some resorts let them out while some wait a little extra. Call ahead.

We rented some shacks out of the Red Door last year Jan 11th weekend and that was the first weekend they allowed vehicles out from their access.

I'm pretty sure it was similar for most resorts on the lake last year.

Last year a Friend of a friend who was stuck working out of state let us borrow his wheel house...

We put it on the ice and then towed it into place crawling with a Wheeler... And that was the last week of December...

Road travel for trucks didn't open up until Mid January if I recall.

Dec 27th of last year is when my 10x18 was pulled from Hunters out to 3 Mile reef....White knuckles all the way. The storm following made for some very interesting conditions.....woke up to my holes swirling like a toilet bowl with all the water draining back into the lake. crazy.gif

Accesses closed for a while after that...

I made it out for the first time in my 3/4 ton truck last year on Jan. 10th. That was still a little risky, probably won't be doing that this year unless we get some seriously cold weather quick! I am going to be purchasing a wheeler here in the next couple weeks if I can find a decent one at a decent price so I don't miss the prime bite this year! Good luck all.

If this weather holds up it will be after new years. We need two weeks with the temps in the teens at night to get it started. The lows lately have been in the mid twenties and the day time highs 35 to 45 are kind of cancelling each other out, so hope for some cold, ice making weather.

Quote:

Dec 27th of last year is when my 10x18 was pulled from Hunters out to 3 Mile reef....White knuckles all the way. The storm following made for some very interesting conditions.....woke up to my holes swirling like a toilet bowl with all the water draining back into the lake.
crazy.gif

Accesses closed for a while after that...

We were out fishing the needle with wheelers the night that storm hit. Thats definitly one I won't forget, quite the sloppy ride and a fair amount of problems arose from that out there. I seem to remember it being into January before a majority of resorts were driving last year. Wheelers were out a little earlier obviously.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.