Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spear foot 1

Ice Saw

40 posts in this topic

I'm in the market for a ice saw and yesterday at cabelas they had Nil's saw for $99.00. And I don't rember the brand but I know mills fleet carries some for around the same money. But some one was telling me there is a big differnce in ice saws.I really can't tell much differance, I have used a friends from mills and it seemed to work fine. My question is what have your experinces been. I want buy a good saw that will last. Any info would be great, thanks guys.

Check out the fourm where do i get spearfishing equip. they talk about them there

I bought one from Fish's Sporting Toys and couldn't be happier! Early season I just chisel throught the ice with the tip and saw away. Later in the season you need to use an auger to get the corner(s) open and then you can saw it open. Very fast cut with each stroke. I feel it's a quality product that should last.

Good Luck!

Ken

spear foot 1 what color was the Icesaw you used? Mine are blue. smile.gif Thanks for the compliment on our Icesaw LABS4ME There are thousands of ours out there in the hands of many satisfied fishing people from Alaska to Maine.

You can order an Icesaw right here www.icesaws.com and have it delivered right to your door! grin.gif We do have them in stores and have a distributor also but we have no idea where they distribute them.

If you have any questions about our Icesaw ask away. I can’t say anything about the nil’s being I have never tried one.

Thanks

Wayne

Love Fish's saws, I bought one maybe 7 years ago and then my other two buddies picked them up, They cut like butter and make it fast to get in the house and get some spearing done!!!

its a know brainer.

I ended up buying a Nil's from mills fleet. I will see how it works and report back.

that is a great saw. You will love it when you use it.

Quote:

I ended up buying a Nil's from mills fleet. I will see how it works and report back.

Is the blad blue with a wood handle??

in my experience the ones with a blue blade and a wood handle cut about the best. I've used the one from Fleet Farm with a fiberglass handle, it worked fine just not as good as the blue bladed one.

I like the wood ones as well. I have a custom built one from a friend, and that has a wood handle as well. Its a great tool to have when cutting a spear hole.

I like the blue one with the wood handle, its a good saw, im not a big fan of the fiberglass one.

I just picked up the blue bladed one today. I've never used one before so I am anxious to give it a try!

Shamalex72, since you have never used on before i thought i would give you a tip about ice saws. First list to BassNSpear podcast to see how he and I cut holes with an ice saw. One other thing we have learned over a few years is that it works best to have the saw cutting the ice at a 45 degree angle. I have see some guys try to cut with a ice saw at like a 90, which will work, but its a lot easier for you and the saw if you have it at a 45.

The first time i did it i was shocked how good it went though the ice!!! You will enjoy having it. smile.gif

CB

ya its a piece of cake. you will be shoked as how awesome it will cut the spear hole. I couldnt get without it.

The nil's saw has a metal tubing handle. But I have a question for the ice saw users. On my ice saw there is a warning not to use the point to start holes. I beleive I read earlier on this site about someone using the point to start a hole. And a friend of mine has A Good Blue SAW with a wood handle laugh.gif and he always starts a hole with the point. I'm thinking it's just a disclaimer for the company to cover their rear if someone uses it for a pry bar shocked.gif Just wondering if on early ice to either drill a hole first or use the ice saw tip. I guess using the tip would be a good test laugh.gif

The "Blue Saw" is Fish's ice saw. Yes you can use the tip to start your hole. I usually do this until the ice gets over 10" or so. Then I bring a 4 1/2" hand auger to start the hole.

No idea about the Nils saw if you can use the tip as a chisel or not. It is handy early season to be able to use the saw to chip through the ice to get a hole started.

Good Luck!

Ken

The Icesaw does work better at an angle as Central Bassman mentioned. But as the ice gets thicker you are cutting more ice per stroke.

Fish¡¦s Folding Ice Saw Directions

When you fold the saw in or out, make sure there is no pressure on the locking pin. To remove the pin, move the blade towards or away from the handle to take any pressure off and turn it left & right to pull it out. To start chipping, lock the saw in the open position, place it at a 45„a angle in front of you and start chipping and don¡¦t chip too hard being the Icesaw is only 3/16 material. Once through the ice, cut straight up and down. When you decide what size and shape hole you want, turn the saw handle as you are cutting in the direction you wish to cut. Keep the bolts in the handle & the hinge rivet tight. Be careful this Icesaw is very sharp! The saw will last for years if used in a normal & safe way. Do not cut into any abrasive or foreign objects on or in the ice. <all tho I did resharpen one where the guy put gravel on the ice being it was very slippery and it didn¡¦t need resharpening> When walking on thin or questionable ice, have the Icesaw at a 45„a angle in front of you as you are walking, chipping as you go. If it goes through in 1 normal chip the ice is too thin! We also recommend putting a rust protector on the teeth for storage or long periods of non-use.

LABS4ME is right on the how thick he chips through. After the ice is thicker the hole fills with ice chips that have to be cleaned out to keep chipping.

Thanks guys for the positive comments

I went out back to the river today to putz around with the saw. All I can say is WOW! I was expecting it to take a fair amount of force to work it up and down, boy was I wrong. A couple chips and I was through the ice (about five-six inches) then it was like a hot knife through butter, very easy. Fishtoys, you do an awesome job on these, I should have bought earlier.

i told you, they are the cats mewo. Gota love them

I am picking mine up in the morning. cool.gif I know its the best. grin.gif

you will love it. Your going to think to yourself "Why did i not have this 25 years ago?"

I saw some saws in the store yesterday. The Nils saw has a warning sticker on the package that says something like: Do not use this saw as a chisel. A pilot hole must be drilled before cutting ice.

It is just my opinion but I would/will never use my saw for a chisel. I don’t see the point in it and I just think you might be taking a risk of wrecking or bending your saw. I would like to hear what Mr. Fish Toys has to say about this? smile.gif

I agree with Central Bassman. I don't think I want to risk wrecking or bending my saw picking at ice. Normally I have an auger and chisel with any way.