• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Large-style Automobile GPS system?

Dahitman44

Question

My father wants to get one before he heads down south and I don;t know much about them. Does anyone have any information on these units?

I don't mean the hadn-held ones, but the ones you mount in the car.

Any advice would be great. Brands, size price etc.

thanks

Hit

8 answers to this question

We bought one for my in-laws last Christmas before they went south. We bought them a Garmin StreetPilot c340. They are pretty tech-ignorant, but absolutely loved how easy it is to use.

Do a Google Garmin StreetPilot and there's a site called BigDig that has the c340 for $217. That's a steal. I think we paid $320 last year, and that was bargain at the time.

I've got a Garmin Nuvi 350. Only difference between it and the 360 is the 360 is blue tooth compatible.

I use mine for firewood deliveries and running bids for lawn / snowplowing. It'll get me within 20' of the exact location, AND tell me which side of the street to be looking on, which is nice when it's dark out, raining, and you're looking to read the little green usually worn out road signs.

Between Magellan and Garmin, the (P)oints (O)f (I)nterest are going to be the same if you're comparing the same number of POIs between the two, they both use the same company.

Tom Tom uses a different company.

I know these units are coming down in price quite a bit.

Wife paid something like $500 2 years ago for mine, now I see them for $300-ish.

Anyways, one thing to note. It won't tell you where all locations of a certain business are. Best Buy for example, it'll list most of the ones west of Roseville, but it doesn't list Woodbury or Maplewood.

It will give you 99% of gas stations, restaurants, etc., and tell you an ETA dependant on your average travel speed.

My dad likes that when they take it on trips, since he's diabetic. He can punch in different locations to see how much farther it is to the next "area" to know if he can make it before he needs to eat again.

If you look at the "black Friday" ads online, there are a ton of them for under $200. Found one for $99 and a garmin for $130. If you don't mind the crowds you can get a good deal on them.

I have a magellan roadmate 760 and it is awesome.Magellan just came out with a map update wich costs $50.You can get one on ebay for under $200.

Got a garmin c330, I highly recommend it.

Shop around online, the prices of these in car units are really coming down. grin.gif