Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cminnwannaB

Spears

21 posts in this topic

Not sure where to buy a spear or just a spear head and finish myself. Have looked at fleet farm was only one style and wasn't impressed.any help would be great!

I've never seen a decent spear (one that I'd own) at any store. The best ones are hand made in very limited quantities. They aren't exactly cheap either. But then what quality product is? Check with a local blacksmith. If they don't make them, they probably know of someone who does. Good luck in your search.

check sportsmens warehouse, they cost about $90 bucks and i think there the best spear available in a store setting. im sure someone can make a better one. i bought 2 of them for me and my wife and really like it. and i have a lot of hours in a spear house.

depending on where you live, cabin fever has some great spears out there as well. There is not alot out there for a customer to buy on the market. like they all said, you have toget them custom made.

How about some pictures of the spears you have? I’m temporarily out now do to a screw frown.gif up where I get my material. The last ones went to a dealer in MI. Some of them he puts a wooden grip on the end. For big fish you need a high quality spear. Also a cheap spare wouldn’t hurt. The way the weather forecast looks you should have time to shop around

I was a Scheels in St. Cloud last week and they had several different spears for about $150-$160. I don't know anything about spears, but they looked nice grin.gif

Thanks guys. Where's this cabin fever? I am a machinest so I should just make one but cant really find the time and also the company tends to frown on home projects mad.gif

cabin fever is on hwy 5 in victoria

Quote:

Thanks guys. Where's this cabin fever? I am a machinest so I should just make one but cant really find the time and also the company tends to frown on home projects
mad.gif

email add in my profile if yard sales spearing equipment is ok.I've been to 4 now that had spears & decoys old and new.Couple used stores in willmar area.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Amish spears are awesome!!!!!!!

checkout dave paulek spears post on this forum there are good pictures of spears.

Here are a couple of my spears

2162181543_610ac8ffa5.jpg

2162981384_5d6b3e7073.jpg

the spear on the left in the bottom picture is the one i have from sportsmens. i really like it. mnmuzzleloader, thats quite the assortment of spears you have. a couple more that would be one for each day of the week.

Ok nice ooo.gif variety but which is your favorite one? One of mine would really add to the collection blush.gifgrin.gif

Yes a Fish's Sporting Toys would finish off that collection really nice, My favorite one is the gray one, it used to be a two piece that would come apart at the head of the spear, I had a buddy weld just enough to keep if from coming off, it is light enough where I can throw angle shots fairly well if they don't come in all the way, then I bring them up with the black one on the far left, two spears in the house at all times.

Ah yes, spears! Fun to have nice equipment!! Sometimes, when I'm not fishing, I build a few. These are a few of them, my favorites are in my spear houses. Guess I don't use many of them, just have fun making them. Biggest problem is fish usually are very tough to remove. A couple of these are impossible to get out without literally cutting the fish in half. Overkill?? [image]DSCN1098.jpg[/image]

My two cents:

The ideal spear should have plenty of weight with longer tines to fully penetrate and pin down a large pike. Barbs should be aggressive. Some would say this is overkill on hammer handles and snakes but when a gator cruises in, these larger spears are more ethical. I would agree you rarely see good "storebought" spears although Dunham's in Duluth sells an OK spear. (I wouldn't recommend angle shots - to risky for a bad hit.)

i believe its all personal preference

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site.If you are looking for a very nice spear, saw or chisel you gotta check out double diamond spears I have one of the spears and I havent found another one nicer.

[Note from Admin. Please read forum rules before posting again, Thank You]