• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hunting an area to the East of BSL, Savannah State Forest and never saw a deer all weekend. Only saw one doe on the opener. Every where I walked however, I saw wolf scat. Large dog scat full of hair. I assume that is what it is. If so, I would have to think that with this many wolves in the area, they would have a negative impact on the deer. I talked to several guys that said this is the worst year they had in a long time. What do you guys think?

I hunt on the north side of BSL and it was a slow year as well. I think the wolves have an impact but the rut started late. We saw a ton of scrapes this weekend but very few the first two weekends. So I think the weather had a lot to do with success. Of course the people who hunt over fields are going to see deer and get deer no matter what, but when we are hunting in thick woods and the deer aren't moving much, it makes it very hard. But can't complain, I just like being in the woods deer or no deer!

Quote:

We saw a ton of scrapes this weekend but very few the first two weekends.

We hunt near that area too with similar findings. Not so much as a track, very few scrapes and rubs the first and most of the second weekend. Although Sunday of the second weekend we got a very nice six point and a medium sized doe, there had been little indication of their presence. This weekend we saw way more scrapes and rubs and countless tracks but didnt get any more deer. Go figure!

I hunt the east side of mille lacs and I also didn't see any deer the last two weekends so last saturday I decided to go for a walk (out of boredom). About 150 yards from my stand in a small swampy area I found where some wolves had gotten two fawns. The wolf poop was everywhere and HUGE. There was hair everywhere and some bones and two skulls. Needless to say I was bummed out cuz i knew I wasn't going to see any more deer for the rest of the season, so I went home and watched football (atleast the vikes won).

Yeah! That has been my experioence too. My folks have a cabin up near Glen and I usaullay hunt about 5 miles east of there. I never saw wolf sign so bad as this year and I have been hunting the area since I was 12. I saw lots of wolf kill too. I ssupect if it gets as bead as it has been the farmers are going to start demanding a season again to control them. I really don't know how long it can go on. I hunted the frist weekend and only saw one little buck that was not even worth jacking a shell into the breach. If Minnesota wants our hunting fees they are going to have to open a wolf season soon or I don't see how there will ber any deer left around my part of the woods?

It is all about being in the right place at the right time. Last year hunted hard never saw a deer. This year hunted less than a day and 1/2 and saw four different bucks and shot the biggest. I see wolve sign just about everytime I go out hunting around here and it doesn't seem to affect deer movement all that much. I really doubt that wolves have that great of an impact on deer populations. Cars kill alot more deer that wolves do... I hate to see wolves being blamed for peoples lack of deer hunting success when there are so many other factors at play. ( food sources, hunting pressure, rut, wind, weather, stand location etc. etc. etc.)I would have no problem with some kind of harvest on wolves but really doubt that it would have any positive affect on peoples deer hunting success. My 2 cents,

- duckster

• 2 weeks later...

Usually if there are lots of wolves around there is lots of easy meals in the woods (deer).They can keep the herd in check. If you eliminate one link in the food chain bad things can happen. Good example is red lake. Heard one guy complain that he only saw 13 deer in 80 hours of hunting and he thought it was a bad year. North of Brainerd 2 of my friends shot 8 deer and would of had 10 if one didnt get sick. Send some of those wolves over here, the deer are like rats here. Getting a deer isnt guaranteed, thats why they call hunting and not deer shooting.