• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Last Years Pyrodex Pellets...

jerkin'm

Found a couple speed loaders that still had the pellet style powder charge in them...They have been in the house and curious if they are still good?

If they have been kept dry they will be fine. I ussually like to use up my last years powder for pre season sighting/practice etc. and purchase new for the hunting season but this is totally personal preferance and would be totally comfortable using last years powder for hunting this year.

Good luck!

Ditto, but I also try to use the old stuff first.

Use up your Pyrodex & buy Triple 7 next time. It shoots the same as far as I can tell & costs more, but when it's time to clean your gun you'll be glad you did. Plus if you wait a few days or until right after season to clean it, it won't be corroded.

I just shot up the powder out of 4 of my speed loaders packed from last year. No problems. I have about 15 more shots worth of pyrodex pellets from last year also that I plan on using for the upcoming season. They were stored properly so they should be fine.

One thing about the pryrodex compared to 777 is it sure stinks a lot more like sulfer when you shoot. I guess I bought it for more of a traditional feeling with my in-line, rifled, 200yd accuracy ML.

One thing when shooting muzzleloaders that one just needs to accept is that they need to be cleaned (at least one patch) after each shot- and really good after you are done shooting. I know this is not always practical while hunting and trying to get a quick second shot, but if they are not cleaned good at the end of the day (even with using 777) you are just asking for trouble. Also, when you run that one patch between shots bullets obviously go down better and final cleaning goes much much faster.