Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lucy1205

Near thanksgiving drownding

3 posts in this topic

Did any of you guys here about the two young adults who sunk there dads boat on lake Minnetonka 2 years ago. I seen them on fox 9 news. I think they were hauling several hundred pounds of rock so that they could make structure for ice fishing. It was Thanksgiving day, which was really nasty. There was 35-40 mph winds and steady freezing white caps that day. I drove by the lake at multiple locations and did not see a sole out there. There was ice on the lake 4 or 5 days later. The two young men were treated for hypothermiea and later released from the hospital. I think they were in the water with full winter clothing for about 25 minuets and were really lucky they did not drown. The water temps were about 35 degrees, near freezing. They reportedly got help from 2 different lake shore owners that were celebrating Thanksgiving. They must have been really lucky because that just sounds like sheer disaster. I bet they wish they would have celebrated Thanksgiving with family. Anyways I posted this at a different forum but got no replies. I just wanted to see if anyone else heard about this or if im the only one. Also it just goes to show how much saftey should be taken into consideration when fishing this time of year even though you probably won't be haulin rocks.

Yup, remember that. Thanks for the story/reminder.

You'll get "caught" with artificial structure one way or the other.

yeah the next winter I knew to guys who tried to make rock piles through the ice. They filled there pick ups full of rocks and drove out on the ice and drilled like 15 holes in circles and then holes inside of the circle all the way to the middle. They were going to sink the farm rocks till they had like a 6 foot rock hump. They got busted about 5 minuets into there plan. They were ticketed for using artifical structure and warned for their display of ignorance. Although dangerous I thought these die hard efforts were kind of cool. they could work on shallow lakes that are void of structure but I don't know about on Minnetonka.