• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

on second thought, i think they should not stock any kings in lake superior. i think everyone should head over to Algoma and spend some money there. seriously, from the looks of some of the bowl haircuts those guys are sporting, they could use the few extra dollars to make it to the barber or cost cutters instead of trying to "flo-bee" themselves to save a few bucks.

long live algoma where the men have hair cuts like a salad bowl and so do most of the gals. laugh.gif

Not sure I understand your Steelhead info.From now on as far as the knife r. goes their only going to let native steelhead past the trap.What is a native steelhead after all the stocking they have done over the years and how about strays from other parts of l.s.As far as loopers go I'd rather see people catch and eat a few if they so desire.I don't believe steelhead will ever return in any numbers as the past 20 years show.Water is the key to any good fishery We don't have a watershead that is conducive to natural reproduction.I have nothing against steelheads or the people that fish them.Logic would tell anyone that loopers (put and take and economical to raise )are the way to go.Would you rather have nothing at all.

As far as I know MN has not planted Cohos for years. I do believe the ones that are caught on the MN side of the lake are either natural reproducing or strays planted by either MI, WI or Canada.

If memory serves me, they couldn't plant Cohos as fry, not totally sure why. So they were more expensive than Chinook and didn't grow as big, so they sunsetted planted them.

for the only mi. info on what they are doing as far as coho's and kings are concerned for their king program.The Brule r. in wi.is giving us most of our cohos as well as some of there smaller creeks.I troll for loopers every day it's not windy and I can assure you the catch this fall is worse than anything previously had by me and a lot of my fishing friends.I'm talking about guys that have been fishing them for more than 20 years.This hatchery is going to give you l.trout and nothing else.If your ok. with this no problem"I'M NOT" satisfied with anything the've done with the exception of loopers.The only success story since the early 70's.as far as I'm concerned.I can't believe you river and stream fisherman aren't going ballistic over how the dnr and fisheries have treated you and your families.I can only hope our the younger generation will do a better job than we have. Anyhow I wish all a Happy Thanksgiving and especially the Pfister family.Jim (flashback) christensen.

Personally I'd like to see them stock more steelhead from the knife on up and more loopers from the french down. I think steelhead numbers arent particularly going anywhere, numbers at the knife have been very stable...except lately even fewer. I think natural reproduction for them is about at capacity for the north shore and the numbers arent going to go up really. Loopers are the only stocking program that really seems to work...wish they would beef up the stocking a bit. With mcquade landing going in thats more pressure on them too.

I think this fall has been poorer looper wise too.

With the lake trout coming back, wouldnt mind it if they would leave the season open longer, at least for the shore fisherman would be another option in the fall. About the time the lakers move in where the shore fisherman can get at them the season closes. I think they have rebounded enough that they can handle the relatively small number that would be taken by shore fisherman.

I have been fishing the North Shore Streams since the late 70s early 80s and all I can say is the fishing now days is hardly worth getting out of bed for compared to then, and I am talking Steelhead, Salmon and Loopers. It isn't all just the DNR, the water levels lately have been so low, you really can't expect much to survive to smolt and make it to the lake.

No doubt things have been hard out there the last few years...we have had summer kills and winter kills...throw in a lot of hungry lake trout and birds chowing on the smolts/plants. Doesnt help things that the dnr has their heads up their, well, you know.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

8942jc, welcome to HSO/FM.

Hi Frank.I use to work with Sam at W&G.I,m not to good at this computer stuff but I keep trying.Caught a looper and small salmon trolling off knife r. late this afternoon.I'm afraid the the end is in sight as there was skim ice in the marina.Say hi to Sam if you see him.Jim C.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Jim, I knew it was you from your reference to SK.

Jim taught me to snell a hook 30'some years ago.

That was the night before I was headed down to the Betsie River in the LP of MI. Seems like yesterday.

Jim I've been airbushing my own spoons, Some day I'd like to visit your paint shop and pick up some secrets. wink.gif

I'll tell Sam you said hello.