• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice Ice Ice

And for the Grand Rapids area:

Tonight Nov 16

N/A/25°

Sat Nov 17

35°/25°

Sun Nov 18

35°/34°

Mon Nov 19

40°/26°

Tue Nov 20

30°/22°

Wed Nov 21

26°/21°

Thu Nov 22

24°/17°

Fri Nov 23

27°/17°

Sat Nov 24

30°/20°

Sun Nov 25

29°/22°

I'll be checking ice by the day after turkey day!

Hope you have your waders on... If there is any wind, it will still be soft water.. Not cold enough to make ice thick enough to be anywhere near safe..

Steve

Big water is out for sure ,but some smaller water is close.

I always have dude behind me with a rope around me until the ice is proven.

Never went in yet checkin with a spud.

If that ice cracks I'm backing off!

No ice yet I hope - I was still planning on one last waterfowl hunt on Friday and Saturday

CK - Have you seen any birds around the Aitkin area or should I plan on bringing my muzzleloader instead?

Thanks!

Quote:

Big water is out for sure ,but some smaller water is close.

I always have dude behind me with a rope around me until the ice is proven.

Never went in yet checkin with a spud.

If that ice cracks I'm backing off!

So you're the first one out on the ice? crazy.gif

I'd like to make it up with Mike T. and/or Casey this year to BS.

When do you think BSL will be good enough to walk on? I am guessing at least 2-1/2 weeks or more. We need some cold, cold weather.

Quote:

No ice yet I hope - I was still planning on one last waterfowl hunt on Friday and Saturday

CK - Have you seen any birds around the Aitkin area or should I plan on bringing my muzzleloader instead?

I've had my head so buried into deer that I've not seen any lakes.

I will say that the normal flocks buzzing through were not to be seen from the stand this year...hmmmm.

I'd bring the muzzy!

As to ice....I'd say by the 8th for sure,however I'll try it on the 1st.I know the Horn freezes up fast except for the current area.Watch for the posts,you'll know when I'm spanking those slabs or swimming. wink.gif

This year there's going to be an army out there I'm thinking.

Leave your minnows at home.Small jigs and waxies or like I'll use....some very small hair or fur jigs will be the big producer.

Sorry had to get rid of the 666 in posts.

I'll be checking thickness Sat. morning and I'll be reporting.

That was your 100th post Solo!

12 has crappies or are you a gill guy?

the n.e. corner.

Look for Espeseth.

Hey you are talking about my hot spot now. My house is on that hole all winter long.

I see Troy out there every now and then but have not seen Jason.

Jason does not fish..... wink.gif

He's my niece's daddy ya know.I've thought about comming down there to hurt your hole!

Did I say hole? tongue.gif

Hey keith Im looking for one of those lakes that only the locals know about to catch some nice slabs with my grandfather who is 76. think you could help me out? I can give you my email add. so that we dont expose it to the whole fourm. If you could help me out that would be great if not I understand. Thanks

It can be a bit of a hike back in there but I do know of a nice little lake that sees little action in winter and produces some decent perch and pike and sunfish action. Try Swamp Lake. Go to the store in Glen and turn east on the dirt road. Take the dirt road until it either goes straight or around Clear lake. DO NOT take the road around the lake. Take it straight east until it dead ends. Where it dead ends you will take a right angle to the left onto a one lane dirt logging road. Turn onto the logging road and follow it about a mile and a half until you reach the Swamp Lake boat landing. Swamp Lake is completely surrounded by the McGrath Game Refuge and is one of those really primitive type lakes they used to have back in the 40's and 50's. It can be a real bugger to drive into in the winter though and I would hate to have car trouble back in there as you are about 3 miles from the nearest farmer who might or might not have a phone. And even if they did I suspect those people back in there are cannibals and eat there young!

On the other hand the lake does produce some nice fish now and then. Just pray you don't have car trouble or get snowed in back there because it will take them till next spring to find your body!

Thanks man! That sounds like a good one for the portables and a SNOWMOBILE if I give it a try Ill let you know

Quote:

Any ice on BSL yet?

sssssssssssssssssssssssshhhh!

I'll be all alone out there this weekend.NOT!

I do not get to the lake everyday so I could not say.

The main lake may have opened up ,but I know of a few bays that are locked up and with this cold we will get this week it may be possible to get out. confused.gif

My advice is to stay home where it's warm and let me have it to myself this weekend. tongue.gif

Then I'll make a report to tell you when she'll be good for the masses. wink.gif

I just spoke to my boss and he says Webster is open and some of the main lake is.

All the smaller bays I could see were frozen. Main lake still open. One calm day produced 20 feet of ice around the edge in the main lake but it was all gone after it got windy again over the weekend.

Tomorrow could be the day it all sheets over. Calm and cold.

So what does 0 do for ya? Brrrrrrrrr,we are making ice.

I will not be on the main lake,got us a small bay to horn in on.

Big Sandy is completly frozen over! Should be making some good ice! Does anyone muzzle load, I am thinking about getting into it, but not sure what type of gun to buy. There are some great buys out there in the stores. Any recomendations?

Hey JuddH,

I use my muzzleloader for ALL my dear hunting even during the rifle and shotgun seasons. I own a TC Diamonds which has taken many dear for me (two so far this year) but if I was buying a new gun (which I will be doing next year) I would get one on the breakdown models because they are SO much easier to clean. Anyone who shoots allot will tell you the biggest pain with muzzleloading is cleaning your gun. I could give you allot of insight into this sport but that would cost you a few beers someday.

Webstser Bay still has open water as of right now. I would say no walkable, safe ice yet. I saw some kids walking on ice Saturday and the same spot was open water the next day. Very dangerous. Be safe.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I have heard that they can be a pain to clean. I would get one that breaks down. I always have plenty of beer!

I know the north end is covered with ice, so I figured the whole lake was iced over, so it's surprising that websters still has open water. Thanks for the updates,