• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

First Ice!

O.K. Ladies and Gentleman! First off we don't have ice yet, but how can you contain yourself? It's time to pull out your portables re-line your ice rods, sharpen your auger blades, and get ready for some hot ice action! Last year Rainy experienced absolutely awesome fishing! Something about listening to the humming of the vex, soaking up some propane fumes, and jigging those big early season eyes that gets my blood going! So the dilemna is do you chase those giant early season Pike, search for crappies, or jig for the pig walleyes! Hmnnnn! Sounds like a good problem to have! LETS HOPE FOR SOME SOLID CLEAR EARLY SEASON ICE!

RD

Hey IfallsRon,

We had about a 1/32 of an inch here on Tilson this a.m. I thought I'd stay on shore still though. Ha! Put the hurt on the walleyes on the river again though. 40 eyes between the two of us in 2 hours! Smallest walleye was 14 inches with the vast majority 16-17 inch fish. Got to love it up here! Fish were hitting bare jigs. No kidding either!

RD

Hey guys, I'm new to Rainy Lake and was just wondering some good starting points for fishing walleyes through the ice. Any bays, points, bars,etc. that are better producers than others. Oh yeah, I want to stay on the Minnesota side too. Thanks for any help.

GoggleEye

Hey Goggle,

First off welcome to the Rainy Lake Forum! If you haven't ice fished Rainy your in for a good time. BIG WATER BIG FISH SMALL CROWDS! Should be on our billboard. Don't get me wrong fishing is still fishing. An early walleye bite will often times have these fish in shallow locations chasing tastey swimming snacks during low light periods. Note to self if catching small perch in the middle of the day return to that spot late or early. SHHHHHHH!, and there are countless bay mouths adjacent to deeper haunts that you'll be able to spy on your map. Water levels are much higher than last year thus the current will be a significant player, so don't just head out mindless as we already are blessed with ample structure already if you get my drift. I'd rather not take clients out to GOGGLE EYE SHOAL. Sand bay will be producing, and could be quite hot with the increased current at the very least you won't feel alone out there! As always Ice fishing 101 will be necessary to fine tune a spot for you. Lots of fisherman often times means not much action for you unless you like to play football and eat brats on the ice. A hole 10 feet away can produce tenfold from yours, and no matter what the fish count at the end of the day you've spent a day on the hardwater in "God's Country". Maybe your buddy doesn't always get the lucky hole? Minnow heads, glow spoons, swedish pimples, glow jigs, set lines, jigging raps... Bring it all Buddy you never can tell! Good Fishing!

RD

Hey thanks Rainydaze! I wish I could get a welcoming informative response like that everytime! I appreciate all the great info. I am going to try and make it up for early ice walleyes and maybe a time or three after that.

GoggleEye

Ha!

Well sometimes we have more time to respond than others I guess! We're rooting for a cold snap up here, and it will be game on!

Good Fishing!

RD

HEY R.D.,

UFFDA & I JUST CHECKED OUT YOUR HONEY HOLE & ITS ALL FROZE UP. RUMOR HAS IT SOMEONE SAW 4 DEER WALKING ON THE ICE YESTERDAY., WE HAVE A COUPLE MORE COLD NIGHTS, I MAY WALK OUT & CHECK IT OUT.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Hey Buddy!

I was just thinking about that. Be careful Buddy! Couple more cold nights! I'll likely be easing my way out in a couple days also. Let me know if you want to hover out together.

RD

RD

Anybody see the forecast for this week?? From the NWS:

Rest Of Tonight...Mostly cloudy. Scattered flurries. Lows 10 to 15. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

Monday...Mostly cloudy. Highs 18 to 23. West winds 10 to 15 mph.

Monday Night...Cloudy with a 30 percent chance of snow. Lows 4 below to 1 above zero. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tuesday...Partly sunny with a 20 percent chance of snow. Highs 8 to 13. Northwest winds around 5 mph becoming northeast in the afternoon.

Tuesday Night...Cloudy with a 50 percent chance of snow. Lows 2 below to 3 above zero. East winds 5 to 10 mph.

Wednesday...Cloudy with a 40 percent chance of snow. Highs 10 to 15.

Wednesday Night...Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of snow. Lows 4 below to 9 below zero.

Thursday...Partly sunny. Occasional flurries. Highs 7 to 12.

Thursday Night Through Saturday Night...Partly cloudy. Lows 5 below to 10 below zero. Highs 8 to 13.

Sunday...Partly sunny with a 20 percent chance of snow showers. Highs 3 to 8.

Better get that ice gear ready!!!!! cool.gif

Hey Uffda,

The Fishing Queen is going to be working the Sport show in the cities, and will be leaving Thursday. If you'd like to get out and hit it let me know. We could meet at my place and head out if you'd like. Looks like winter out there this a.m.

RD

Already been out slab chasing on a local lake down here boys! Can't wait to get out again tonight!! The time has come!!!!! Good luck if you get out and be safe.

It appears that the North arm has experienced what may be the record for early ice-out! Many areas that were iced over have re-opened.

Tundra,

It depends on how you are at swimming in these temps. I am fishing a bay that doesn't have any current at is a maximum of 10' deep down here, it only has 3" on it. Main lakes didn't have more than an inch on them down here.

Last year we fished on 8-10" of ice on the 23rd and 24th of december in that area. If you remember correctly we had colder temperatures much sooner last year. I don't advise it...not until we get more cold days, which is just what the doctor ordered apparently. It was 5 above this morning in duluth with a windchill that made it 5 below.

Stay safe and out of the water. Wait for a few days. Even then invest in a ice spud and be hitting the ice HARD when you are checking.

Watched North Arm freeze over this afternoon, as soon a the wind died down the whole lake froze over ! Never seen it like that before! Nov 28 update. Looks like another record early ice out, 2 in one year! Wow! The snow last night was to much for the new ice and it disappeared as fast as it had formed the day before. We can resume summer fishing again just need to plow snow away from the boat launch . Our license fees should help pay for that!!

we had some first ice here yesterday as well. saw a 12 car pileup on the river bridge right off the bat! Here first ice is more fun to watch as a spectator rather than a participant. Also what's the difference between an icehouse and a darkhouse?

A dark house is usually used for spearing because it allows better vision of fish moving under the ice.

An ice house, fish house, or hut, which can be portable or permanent, is used by anglers to keep warm and out of the elements and has windows to allow more light in.

Some day I gotta come up there and try hard water. The spearing would appear to be a real pot luck kind of thing. Is it really very productive? Certainly not for the impatient i presume.

HI O.K.,

THATS WHY WE LOVE LIVING HERE. WINTER TIME SEES LOTS OF SNOWMOBILING TO OUR FAVORITE LAKE TROUT LAKE, AND ONCE YOU CROSS THE BORDER, THERE A 100,000 LAKES, MINNESOTA HAS 10,000...ONTARIO HAS ONE MORE ZERO...A 100,000.

YOU CAN ONLY SPEAR NORTHERNS...NOT WALLEYES. I PREFER FISHING(ANGLING) CRAPPIES, WALLEYES, AND LAKE TROUT IN THE WINTER.

ICE FISHING UP HERE IS A BLAST.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

HEY R.D.,

DID YOU HEAD BACK OUT THERE, I'M GUESSING AFTER TONIGHT EVEN WITH THE SNOW, THERE SHOULD BE 4". I HAVE THE BATTERIES CHARGED NOW & LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING A LITTLE MORE SERIOUS. THIS TIME OF THE YEAR, I KINDA GET THE SHAKES.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Hey FM,

Probably heading out to give it another shot tomorrow. I'll probably try sneak out a bit further. It's darn cold that's for sure. I'll likely be pulling out the one man fish trap to get serious! Plus keep my fingers from falling off! Ha! Maybe I'll see you out there? I'll likely be heading out around 2:30 to test it out.

RD

Hey FM,

No more ice than when we were out. I managed to hover about 15 feet further out, but thats all I could get myself to try. Combo of snow and current is slowing the process a bit. Did manage a few fish and and some melted goretex! Ahh! The smell of ice fishing! Saw a Timberwolf out the front window yesterday! Had a bum front left leg! Watched him for about 10 minutes head up the creek. Maybe he was looking to snack on one of my other dogs!

RD

Any reports on the ice in Black Bay?? I guess I'm coming home this weekend so I'm wondering if there's enough to get out and set some tip-ups and maybe get the spear house out if possible.

Uffda, FM you guys been out at all?

HI G.K.,

A BUNCH OF US ARE GOING TO EITHER L.O.W. OR BL. STG ON SUNDAY, THERE IS UP TO 9" ON LOW. RAINY, BE CAREFUL AS SOMEPLACES HAS ABOUT 3" OF ICE, HOWEVER THERE IS ALOT OF SNOW ON THE TOP OF THAT 3" OF ICE., PLUS THERE IS CURRENT, AND THAT ADDS TO THE EXCITEMENT. YOU ARE WELCOME TO GO WITH US., SO IS YOUR DAD.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

FM,

Thanks for the info and the invite. I think my dad might be working all weekend doing inventory, and I want to help Mr. Bauer get the spear house out if we can. If not, I will get ahold of you and maybe tag along on Sunday.

Fished the North Arm today. Walked out from the Causeway about 100 yards. 17 feet of water, 6 inches of ice. I'm thinking ATV time! Walked another 50 feet out still 17 feet of water but only 2 inches of ice. Only stayed a couple hours - no fish. Needless to say I did not walk out any farther. crazy.gif

HEY CAP. J.,

REMEMBER WE HAVE ALOT OF CURRENT GOING, LOTS OF SNOW, SO WE MAY SEE ALOT OF VARIANCES IN ICE., THERE ARE LAKES AROUND WITH ENOUGH ICE, BUT RAINY, I WOULD BE VERY CAREFUL. OH, DID I SAY I'M SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE. WE GOT 4 MONTHS HERE OF ICE FISHING, LETS NOT START IT WITH A CASUALTY.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

I only carried a spud on my first trip out. Chopping all the way. Didn't really note any current where I was so not sure why it froze funny that close to shore.

How went LOW trip?

I might try walking out again tomorrow. Anybody want to go along? With all that cold weather, should have least a couple more inches where I tried last time.

Hopefully going over to LOW with uffdapete on Tuesday.