Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishingmedic

Night Bite

8 posts in this topic

Myself along with a few friends are looking at our first trip to upper red and have a question. Last year we stayed in a sleeper on Winne hoping for a night bite which floped. Is there a night bite on upper red and would it be worth while to get another sleeper on red or not? any help would be great.

Thanks

Yes, there is a nite bite. It's kinda funny watching 4 guys trying to roll out of the cots when the rattle reels go off.

Get a sleeper.

Yes Red has a night bite. It does vary from year to year depending on snow cover and ice conditions/clarity. One thing that Upper Red has that is uniuqe is a HUGE pike night bite. Crazy deal to catch a 40" pike in your PJs at 3am.

Yes last year I tagged into a 38 incher after dark pre fishing a house and the fight was on.It was quite the trick holding a flashlight in my mouth as I tring to manuver her head up the hole. Ruined the line on the wifes rod to boot.

Last year I stayed on the lake with my house and I couldn't get any sleep from midnight to about 4 am I would catch a fish lay my head down just start to fall asleep and an alarm would go off again I loved every minute of it I can't wait for this year

we had a run last year on Walleyes that started about midnight and ended about 6 and when all was said and done we probably caught and released 100-150 of them !!

Thanks for the input.

Last march, I stayed up fishing untill 3am doing well with the fish. Told my cousin in law to wake me up in an hour. I went to bed and then he fell asleep later without waking me up. Before he did this he had opened the bail on the other poles so when they would get a bite we wouldn't lose them down the holes, and he could get to them. Well when we woke up at 7am grandpa was fighting a fish on his pole. He ended up pulling all of the other poles down the holes and up through his with a walleye on every pole. Talk about limiting out. LOL this year I'm setting the alarm on my phone.