• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice Fishing Equipment

I have not ice fished in years and then I just used the equipment that I had. What is the "must have" equipment to get started? I know I will need an ice auger and a couple of short rods. Is there anything else that is necessary? Any brand/model/type for the auger and poles would be appreciated. I plan to fish primarily for panfish but may also try for Walleye.

Dale

Depending on how much you want to fish, is key here.... the limits are endless as far as each individual goes. You may want to start out with a good Nils hand auger, I would start with a 6 or 8 inch. Get a couple decent short poles, and a portable shack to fish out of. Maybe pick up a sunflower heater and tank, some spoons, some small lures, bobbers and comforable seat and give it a try.

You really might want to spend a day this weekend or the last weekend in November at one of the ice shows in the cities and meet up with one of the guys at the show retailers to get a decent start up idea. You will get vairied responses, depending on how "diehard" the fisherman is you speak to. The key is to have fun and go at the pace you are having fun at!

There is one this weekend in MPLS and the last weekend in November in St Paul. Look for the Ice Frenzy post in Ice fishing and Sponsor forums.

Here's what you're looking for. http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1189716&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#Post1195369

be careful. Goin to that show can be costly. Too many ideas. More you buy just ends up being more gear to tote around. a transducer with my line is the only 2 things I need clouding up the hole.

[Edited by Admin - Link Modified]

I have been going to this event every year for the past 5 years. It never ceases to amaze me that there is always soemthing new there and usually I do end up spending some $$ there, much to the dismay of my wife usually. If nothing else, it is fun to go and see what is all out there being used on the ice.

I went to the MPLS show and bought a couple of inexpensive items. All tolled I spent less than $50. The best part was that there were so many people there to answer questions. The worst part was that there are so many toys available. I could go broke just on ice fishing equipment. I think I will be going to the Ice Frenzy in St. Paul also. Thanks for the advice.

So many toys, so little time.

Dale

Also what I have done in the past 2 years is sit in on some seminars from Genz and others, very interesting to get their perspective on things.