Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hawgeye

Tip ups

7 posts in this topic

Wondering what you guys use on your tip ups. I use a braided dacron with 4' leader of flouro. I love the braided dacron for its limpness, but it absorbs water and will freeze up on bitter cold days. thanks,

Dave

I use the coated dacron line for all my tip ups. No frozen tip up line. I then tie a small barrel swivel on and tie whatever mono, floro line Im going to use to it. Usually about 3-5' depending on water clarity and type fish Im after.

There are times I use straight mono but not often. Usually when after shallow eyes or fishing for crappie with tip ups. Like I said not too often.

I also use the round insulated tip ups or put a foam hole cover over the holes. Less light and keeps holes open longer.

thats pretty much what i use, but i will use pieces of very fine knap carpet in the color black to cover the hole when it is snowing or very cold. it seems to help. the only thing i dont like is not being able to see my small bobber when i get to the hole without disturbing the tip up.

I've used the Beaver Damm tip-ups for years and have been using Fish Brothers Tip-ups the last few years.

tipup-index.jpg

I like the visual of the Fish Brothers, no more tip ups getting run over by snowmobiles. They come in a two pack and the bases snap together for a tangle free carrying case. I really like those tip-ups.

With either style tip-up I like spooling with 12 lb mono. Freezing to the spool isn't an issue and Eyes aren't shy about committing themselves with the 12 lb mono.

Seems like I've gathered a bunch of different tip-ups over the last bunch of years. grin.gif

I use the simple Polar tip-ups for most situations. I also like the round insulated Frabill units, by my auger is a 10-inch auger and the round ones aren't quite big enough to suit me there.

How I have them spooled depends on the fish. I've got some spooled with 50 lb fireline for pike, and I tie the line directly to my wire quick-strike rigs. I have one rigged for lakers that's spooled with 20lb mono and I add 10 feet of 14 lb fluorocarbon connected with a ball-bearing swivel. I've got another one rigged for 'eyes with 10 or 12 lb mono. I'd have two rigged for 'eyes, but I usually only fish them in early ice season before laker season opens and when I have an 'eye tip-up out, I'm always jigging inside my shelter for my second line. If the fish are very spooky and I want to fish two tip-ups, it's a simple matter to rig any other tip-up I have along with a temp 10-lb mono leader.

When using the Polars, I also add a close-cell foam hole cover you can make yourself out of that type of foam or buy for $5. Makes a really big difference. When I'm fishing next to guys who don't use them and don't use a style of tip-up that covers the hole, I watch them chipping ice out of their holes all day long when mine are clear.

no more getting run over by snowmobiles? you must have sledders around that are nicer than some of the guys i have run into. i think they purposely do it some times. had a bag of vomit and his sled turn into my buddy's tip up on mille lacs one year on purpose. tried to wave the guy away as he approached and he made a special turn once he saw the flag to run it over. they know there is no way they we catch them and think they are funny. i only hope they do it to the wrong guy and their sled instantly breaks down some time and find out how funny it really is.

Depending on light conditions, tip-ups are hard to see till its too late. I haven't had one run over intensionally around here. Sledders tend to give anglers plenty of room but when you can have that tip-up 200', away it happens. Usually its someone you know that runs them over when they're coming by to chat.