• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wolves finally win one!

Scott K

The wolves got the first win under their belt. McCants looked good. This is a young team, but it has a future. It maybe a future that is a couple years away smirk.gif, but they have some upcoming stars. Go Wolves!

Yeah, lots of positives. McCants has that instant offense. The wolves don't get blown out. Young teams can pick up bad habits when you get blown out every night.

Gotta win every once in a while this year.

I watched that game -- it is fun to watch the kids run around.

I think they really have some future players --

Brewer looks way over-matched at times, but Jefferson, McCants and soon Foye -- they will make it fun to watch, at least.

I am enjoying watching this young team......McCants has some great moves to lose a defender, Jefferson has great footwork to get to the hoop, we know Foye is good and Brewer is showing that he is a rookie but you can see he is eager to learn and improve......I think I will actually enjoy this season more than I have the last few years!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting sick of the 4th quarter losses. Last night it was to Atlanta...yuck. I've said it before I'll say it again, bad habits can come from 20 points blowouts as well as continual 1 point losses.

In every game yet they lose every game...

The biggest worry I had about this team before the year was not talent, but coaching. Wittman took over a team last year half way through the year that was a .500 club. He won only 12? games the rest of the year and finished 20 games under .500. The biggest difference in that team last year from the first half to the second half was flat out coaching.

I was hoping that getting rid of most of the bad apples from that team and starting out mostly fresh would make a difference and Wittman would be able to coach and develop the talent on the team. It's still very early in the year. But what I've seen so far is a team that doesn't make good adjustments and continues to go into a shell late in the game. This is coaching. Wittman was quoted after the game either Friday or Saturday night that their problem is that they are playing "not to lose". They need to make adjustments and play to win. This is what a coach is there for. I like Wittman and I think he is a solid assistant. But as a head coach? He has a lot to prove. I hope he is able to make adjustments as a coach here very soon. My fear is that McHale will stick with him far too long.

Winning only one game up to this point isn't a big deal to me. No one was expecting them to win a lot of games. But HOW they are losing and how they are completely going in the tank late in games is inexcusable. They have shown that they have talent. A good coach wouldn't let his time falter down the stretch game after game. Look at the Bill Musselman coached Wolves teams. Terrible teams with very little talent. But those teams worked their butts off from start to finish every night. Wittman is exactly right when he says they play not to lose. He needs to recognize that's on HIM as a coach.

Aaron

AWH, good observations on Wittman. The television crew sure loves him and applauds all the teaching he does.

Wolves won a game wire to wire against New Orleans. They looked good at times and bad at times, but that will be their style.

For a little bit last night I thought they were going to let them come back like usual, but they pulled out yet another win grin.gif

Best 1st through 3rd quarter team in the league IMO. Even had the Spurs reeling entering the fourth. It's getting in their heads now.

BTW Happy Birthday Lookin. Hope your enjoying some Cali sunshine will MN braces for the Armageddon blizzard that ruins local lake ice production.

How did they blow that lead last night? I tell ya, watching it happen game after game just makes me shake my head. If they can figure out how to outscore the other teams in the first 3 quarters, why cant they score in the fourth? If they can figure out a little defense and 4th qurter scoring, this would be a good team. I still have hopes they will come together, this is a young team.

They are going through growing pains right now. They have no veteran leadership right now. No one wants to step up in the 4th. All of that equals disaster in the 4th. They will be going through this for awhile until they figure it out.

Up by 14 with about a minute to go in the 3rd. 40-11 Spurs the rest of the way...

I know not everyone is a big Randy Foye fan. But when/if he comes back healthy, I think he will make a huge differene. Even in his rookie year he proved that he wanted the ball in the 4th quarter and wasn't afraid to take and MAKE a lot of big shots. This is one place that they currently have a HUGE hole, obviously.

Heard quite the stat about Foye yesterday that just backs this up. He led the entire NBA in 4th quarter scoring last year in terms of percentage of points. He scored 48% of his total points in the final quarter last year. Impressive for anyone, but especially for a rookie to do that. It's one thing to have the "give me the rock" attitude. But to have that and be able to convert in crunch time is an entirely different thing. Foye can bring both. Not that he will be the savior. But it will be a huge difference to what happens on the court for this team.

Aaron

That's very true. He had a game winning runner off the glass against somebody at the Target Center I saw live last year. That was pretty neat in a forgettable season.

I know that dahitman drafted him high for his fantasy team too. Hopefully Foye brings something to the table to help the team. Although maybe at this point we need to see the Wolves (and Miami) lose. (Did I already start advocating for tanking?)

An ugly one tonight against Memphis!

However the Wolves end up this year, they're going to get a very high pick next year. There just aren't a lot of horrible teams this year that stand a chance to win fewer games than the Wolves, I don't think. There's a few that could, just not many. Let's just hope our ping pong ball comes up for once!

I've been liking Miami's losing start. But we need them to win just enough to get into the playoffs with the 8th seed. The pick is lottery protected for 2008. So if they (Miami) miss the playoffs, the Wolves will have one less pick in '08.

With a chance at two relatively high picks next year, I'll be paying a little more attention to college ball this year and players that might be coming out!

Aaron

I only see Seattle battling with us for the worst record. Who knows whats going to happen in Miami. I don't follow the college game to much but is there a legit #1 pick out there or a couple easy can't miss top picks. I guess when I do watch all I hear is North Carolina and Tyler Hansborough. I think he is a junior. Would he be a top pick? I also hear O.J. Mayo from USC. Any others?

It's really too early to say on the college scene. This time last year, hardly anyone had heard of Kevin Durant. Being that most of the top caliber talent comes out before they hit their senior year, you never really know who's going to enter the draft and who's going to stay.

OJ Mayo is one of a bunch of really good looking freshman this year. A few others to keep an eye on: Eric Gordon, guard from Indiana - a scoring machine, hasn't scored fewer than 20 points in a game yet this year. Derrick Rose, guard from Memphis. Michael Beasley, forward from Kansas State. First collegiate game had 32 points and 24 rebounds and has had a double-double each game this year. Averaging something like 26 points and 15 boards a game...as a freshman. Wow!

One guy that as projected as a lottery pick last year before he pulled out was Georgetown's Roy Hibbert. At 7-2 and 275 pounds, he'd fill the middle nicely for the Wolves. Not sure how high of a pick he'd be worth though.

Aaron

The WOLVES (yes the Minnesota Timberwolves) held on to beat the Phoenix Suns of all teams. How'd that happen?!?!?

Wittman wasn't on the bench. This was the key to the win over the Suns! Like I've said previously, I like Wittman as an assistant coach. But he worries me as a head coach. I just don't see him as a good Xs and Os guy that is able to make adjustments and good game time decisions. I really hope he proves me wrong. But the last 7 quarters of basketball this team has played with Sichting running the show, it has looked like a different team.

Brewer has really given this team a spark the last couple of games too. He's ugly on offense, almost out of control. But the guy hustles like no one else and works his butt off. Seemed to be contagious with the team in the second half of the Suns game the way they hit the boards.

Aaron

Quote:

The WOLVES (yes the Minnesota Timberwolves) held on to beat the Phoenix Suns of all teams. How'd that happen?!?!?

The Wolves are going through growing pains. This is what happens when you have good young talent, they will blow the games they should win, then give it their all for the big games and win a couple of them. This team will grow up to be a good team, they will get better and better as the year goes on. I hope! Even though they are loosing alot of games, they are still fun to watch, but it will get old soon!

Any chance the Wolves trade any of their 2 veterans(Walker or Ratliff) for draft picks? I know Ratliff contract expires this year and Walkers the next. Maybe get a 2nd round pick for them?

For the first time in a long time I'd like to see the wolves hold onto a contract. They can get some cap room with an expiring contract.

I would like to see them try and move Jaric if they could find a taker. He has been playing well of late so his trade value should be a little higher, although with Foye out I'm scared to watch Telfair be a starter for the good part of a year. Oh who am I kidding, this is a lost season already so deal him. frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

I also think we should get rid of Jaric. He has been playing better lately and we might be able to get something decent for him. I like how telfair has been playing, he only needs to get a few more points. Anyone else been liking how Smith has been playing? That guy can dominate some games. If only he was a little more consistant.

Craig has been awesome. He's even a fantasy asset in some really deep leagues.

Love his production, wish he was taller but he does well. He scores big because this team is bad but he is not a bad back up at all. 5th best FG% in the league I read somewhere. That's great.

Getting tired of all the close losses. A couple more weeks until Foye is back....

Why would you want to get a 2nd round pick for 2 large expiring contracts? Most 2nd round picks are pointless and with the $ coming off the books they have a chance to sign some FA to help the squad......... Wolves in 2010 wink.gif

Some 2nd round picks do make it. Since 2001- Trenton Hassle, Gilbert Arenas, Mehmet Okur, Carlos Boozer, Steve Blake, Kyle Korver, Anderson Vareijo, Chris Duhon, Craig Smith and Paul Millsap. I do believe Cuttino Mobley and Manu Ginobli were also 2nd round picks as well. I agree most are pointless, but there are some pretty big names on this list that have made it pretty big.

• 1 month later...

Those are big what if's and yeah some 2nd rounder and even undrafted players make it but let the contracts expire and try to sign some proven ball players instead of getting more draft picks for Mchale to screw-up......

From Jim Souhan, Star Tribune

Tonight, Timberwolves fans eager to mourn Kevin Garnett's absence from Target Center might have to do so by mourning Kevin Garnett's absence from the Target Center floor.

KG is expected to be in the building but not in the Boston lineup because of an abdominal strain suffered the last time the Wolves played the Celtics. Garnett either took a shot to the abdomen, or he simply hasn't gotten over the precisely aimed low blow he received from his successor, Al Jefferson, during their heated exchange on the court that night.

Garnett yelled "Eleven years! Eleven years!" at Jefferson, reminding him of his All-Star berths. Jefferson responded with the kind of surgical strike we expect of smart bombs and heckled comedians: "We both have one thing in common -- no championships."

That's when Garnett started throwing elbows and issuing even more than his customary doses of profanity. After the best team in the NBA this regular season beat the worst by one point, Garnett walked around the court popping his jersey as if he had finally won a title.

That was embarrassing. So tonight as all you nostalgic Wolves fans fondly remember the departed superstar, I'll be watching the other team, the team that did what it had to do in trading Garnett, the team that, now that it finally has started competing, has more to offer than its record indicates.

The Garnett trade was great for the Celtics. Even if they flame out in the playoffs, Celtics GM Danny Ainge took a worthwhile gamble to make an important franchise relevant.

The Garnett trade also was great for the Wolves. For all of his mistakes the past 10 years, Wolves VP Kevin McHale has made two excellent deals in a row, deals that make this year's struggling team far more promising than the stagnant Garnett-led teams of the previous two seasons.

In trading Garnett, he landed Jefferson, who is younger, cheaper, a better fourth-quarter scorer, a better offensive rebounder and eager to improve. Jefferson took it to Yao Ming the other night, shooting over him from the outside, faking him off his feet, dunking on him, spinning him like a top with low-post moves that could have been stolen from the movie "The Illusionist."

I'd rather watch Jefferson tonight than even a healthy Garnett, regardless of their team's records.

McHale got two first-round draft picks in the deal, plus point guard Sebastian Telfair, who is, to punish him with faint praise, better than expected, and swingman Ryan Gomes, who, when he asserts himself, displays a fine array of NBA skills.

Center Theo Ratliff is useful when healthy. More important, his salary will come off the books this summer. And Gerald Green was worth a try as a talented but unpolished throw-in.

The next major trade McHale made looks lopsided in his favor. He sent Ricky Davis and Mark Blount to sabotage the Miami Heat, receiving Antoine Walker, a first-round pick, Michael Doleac and Wayne Simien in return.

Trading Davis and Blount for Pat Riley's mousse valet would have been a good deal. Getting Walker -- who is a better teammate and has a shorter contract than Blount -- and a first-round pick and the expiring contracts of Doleac and Simien makes this a steal.

Now that the Wolves are playing defense and finding options to complement Jefferson on offense, this, too, can be said: As lousy as the NBA's reputation is nationally, and especially in this town, many nights there is artistry on the court.

Against Houston, Telfair dribbled from foul line to baseline to the elbow, faked high, then dropped a bounce pass under a defender's armpit to a cutting Jefferson, who maneuvered between two tall defenders to somehow finish at the rim.

It's a beautiful game when played well, and the Wolves finally have improved from unwatchable to intriguing.

Great article by Souhan. Details from the last Celtics-Wolves game. It's no surprise Garnett pumped himself up for the game and told himself that Big Al was trying to show him up or something. That's just Kevin, like many athletes he has to make up slights to get himself motivated. I think things will be more pleasant if KG is in the building tonight.

Not so sure I'm ready to pat McHale on the back for anything.

You can say what you want about KG, but I'll always be a fan. He popped his jersey, but he always did that in the heat of a win. I hated to see him go, but I think the wolves should be better in the long run. Nice that he's at least making an appearance for the fans but it woulda been nice to see him play.