Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
reddog

Proper disposal?

reddog

What is the proper disposal of deer parts, after home processing?

Dumpster

landfill?

other?

Scott K

Bury them!

jbell1981

I normally cut them into smaller pieces to put them in trash bags and throw them out with my regular garbage.

TrophyEyes

I do what Jbell said. Or you can shoot really small deer and fit them in one bag...Just kidding.

chucker34

Do you have an "outdoor" dog? grin.gif Seriously, my wife's relatives in SD will get dee roadkill in front of their place from time to time and if its not too messy, will drag it out by the barn and let the dogs have a snack.

Hammer Handle

Dogs love the bones.

Or, bury them.

Or, drag them in the woods and let the birds, wolves, and whatever eat them.

Sandmannd

Dang, never thought of the bones for the dogs, that's a good idea? What do you do with the hides. I've heard of places you can take them and exchange for a pair of gloves. Anyone know where this would be?

gonefishin11

Gander has a hides for habitat bin. I don't think they exchange for gloves but its a place to put your hide.

Dragonsm

I thought I read someplace that Fleet Farm exchanges hides for a pair of gloves.

Shack

Sandmannd,

Ralph's Gun and Pawn in Anoka. Also Pawn dealer in Zimmerman does it as well.

Ralph's gun would have a limited supply of good gloves (Nice red leather with wool inside), so bring them in early.

Eric Wettschreck

I bring in the hides for a pair of gloves. The leftover bones and carcaass and stuff get tossed in the field behind my house. The following week we shoot yotes over our "Bait pile."

Throughout the winter my dogs will drag most of the deer parts back into the yard where it's easier to roll around on them and stash for a snack. In the spring the kids and I toss them all back out into the field.

Shack

When this was posted a couple weeks back, I liked the idea of putting it out back. I figure fox's and yotes will make quick action with them and forest critters will chew bones quick. Also I would like to put a trail cam over scrap pile and see whats around.

Gissert

I hang the ribcage in a tree and the birds pick at it all winter. The rest of the bones go back in the field and the birds and preadators make short work of it. Hides go in the habitat box.

smnduck

Our party takes the remains back to the private woodlots and crp that we get them from. It makes for some good varmit shooting when you place them in the right area. If the parts are not scavanged then they decompose and go back in the ground. If I did not have that option I would make the parts small and put them in a bag for the garbage man.

BobT

Speaking of the hides. We are all supportive of efforts to improve wildlife habitat aren't we? I don't understand why anyone that frequents this site would do anything other than donate their hides for habitat improvement or is a pair of gloves that important?

Bob

chucker34

It could be to some people without a lot to spare. I like it as a matter of personal choice. Not everyone wants to donate their venison to a food shelf or pay a fee to support that effort either. BTW, I did the latter this year, but I like the fact that I didn't have to. I don't want to get all political, but the less rules, fees, etc. imposed on me the better as long as I'm not harming anyone else.

Black_Bay

From page 86 of the 2007 hunting regs:

Deer Carcass Disposal:

Hunters who process their own deer may not dispose of carcasses on public land, including wildlife management areas, state forests, road rights of way or in any water body.

Deer carcasses may be disposed of in the following ways:

• On private land with the permission of the landowner.

• Through your refuse hauler after checking on how to properly bag the carcass.

• At a local landfill.

Eric Wettschreck

Bob, when we donate our hides they go to "Hides for Habitat." and they give us a pair of gloves.

BobT

I am not aware of Hides for Habitat exchanging hides for gloves. I know when we do it we don't get anything in return other than for me the opportunity to help my brother gather them up and deliver them for MDHA. What do other like retailers do with the hides after they pay for them with a pair of gloves?

Bob

Eric Wettschreck

Wouldn't kid ya Bob, we drop them off at the Co-op in the Hides for Habitat box. Once in a while (normally after the box is good and smelly) the Hides for Habitat truck comes around and gathers them all up.

I don't know what other places do. Maybe it's the Co-op donating a pair of really cheap gloves. I doubt it, but it's possible.

Shack

I did some calling around for hide disposal and found Ralph’s used to do it, but the guy /company did not show up anymore. He thought it was hides for habitat, but could not remember.

The Trading post in Zimmerman does it and has nice gloves. This goes to private party fur trader.

I called Plaza Country Store in St. Francis and they do it and have plenty of gloves (nice ones). He also allows for a dollar upgrade to choppers and for three hides you can get a thin solite snowmobile pair (Nice guy). They also supply to a local fur trader.

I did call MHDA (hides for habitat); they have never sponsored a program for a pair of gloves, but know people and organizations out there do this. Some for only profit and others for profit and habitat. She declined to tell me who they where.

I called about 3-4 other hide drop off places that said they do not even have a drop off for Hides for Habitat any more, because of the pile would build up and the stink. They like the other places, because they pick up hides twice a week or more. That’s why they switched. More for there own store going customers, rather than anything of profit (form the store owner).

I figure it’s your choice as an American and some one who frequents this site, to do what you would like. I like to have the option and the gloves are nice. Maybe the MHDA should think about doing this, I would centainly give them first props on hide. I figure with as much money I spend on licences, equipment, processing my own deer and all the other good things that go along with getting that hide, a free pair of nice gloves is a nice thing I look forward to every year. I help in other ways.

Scott K

I have, and will give to hides for habitat, but our local drop off place has raffles for guns. Usually 5 guns, everything from muzzle loader to shotgun, to a rifle. The more hides you bring in the more times your name is in the raffle. Last year was the first time I droppped them off their, I have always donated them to H 4 H, but I would like a new gun!

BobT

I guess I need to rescind my comment. Sounds like I made it too much in haste based on my own experience. Sorry fellas. blush.gif

Bob

Shack

Bob, I will give you props for helping out the MHDA (Hides for Habitat).

Sounds like they need the help and its people like you doing it for them.

You believe in something very strong, that we all love.

Thanks!

Eric Wettschreck

It's all good Bob, big hug. grin.gif