• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fish in Black Dog Lake?

I was told to repost this here from the metro board. Has anyone ever fished Black Dog Lake? It looks like a huge shallow water basin that takes up the entire area between I-35 and Rte. 77 just south of the Minnesota River. Is there access by boat to it? Does it connect up with the MN River somewhere? Is there any fish in it? It looks like it might be a good spawning area for pike in the spring. I drive by this lake all the time and I am curious...

-Gregg B.

Just look at the post: "Report: Black Dog" by Ouchless. It is at the bottom of this page or the top of the next one. Lots of good info about Black Dog.

Quote:

Just look at the post: "Report: Black Dog" by Ouchless. It is at the bottom of this page or the top of the next one. Lots of good info about Black Dog.

That thread is about that section of the minnesota river...not black dog lake itself. I personally havent heard of anyone try fishing out of Black dog lake.

That's what I thought... they are talking about the river only in that thread. My interest was in Black Dog Lake. I have a feeling there is not much more than Carp in there, especially if it is not connected to the river itself.

-Gregg B.

I would give this thread a little time. More people will chime in and have info. Not alot of people are in this area this time of year. It takes awhile for some to check back.

I do not think Black dog resivour is totaly cut off from the river. For one, spring time floods spill fish over in it. Another is I do believe their is one culvert that flows right into and out of the lake. The one by the eagles nest.

Like said before, the lake is used to cool or hold the water from the power plant before dumping back in.

I don't doubt that there are fish in there, but IMO not enough to waste my time when I can find fish other places.

Not only that, but I think I remember someone mentioning that it is private land back there which would make this discussion null and void.

Quote:

I think I remember someone mentioning that it is private land back there which would make this discussion null and void.

Way to be an optimist...you pessimist wink.gif

Either DTRO is correct or we are treading on a secret spot. grin.gif

DTRO, do you know what culvert I am talking about?

Plus I thought it was a wildlife area? I could be wrong.

Sorry, scratch that! I was thinking of gun lake on the culvert.

Black Dog lake is located in Minn. Valley Nattional Wildlife Ref... I would think it would be public. Now to be able to bring a boat out on it or a boat and a motor would be a good question.

I would say one would have a real hard time getting a boat in there, even in high water.

As far the secret spot theory, I'm there with you guys every time I drive over the bridge and wonder about fish in there.

I still think it might be restricted for some reason....

Well, it seems that not many people have tried to fish on this lake. It may be a designated waterfowl refugee, in which I believe fishing would not be permitted. I do have a hard time believing it is some sort of secret fish-haven. Just it's size and location to I-35 and Cedar kind of negates any secrecy. I may have to try to look for some access for a small boat to drag in there. Then, perhaps, I may try to fish it next spring. Thanks for all your replies...

-Gregg B.

I used to fish it when I was a kid. U are right it's a shallow water basin. One summer, way back when, maybe 10 years ago, it was really low. You could walk out probably a hundred yards or better without any drop really and couldn't see any significant structure. I've caught small channel cats, drum, carp, etc. Did see a really nice cat come out of it one time, but like was mentioned, I'd put time in other places before this lake.

There are two water intake/outake deals for the power plant connected to the river. One by 35W and one by 77. Can't get through these with a boat.

There isn't a launch. Not sure if public access if kosher, but people do fish it quite a bit from shore.

Its not restricted area. There just no easy access.

Years ago I thought that it might be a pretty good place to fish. I've tried it with no success.

The intake, is at the power plant and is for cooling purposes. Then is dumped back into the lake to cool. The lakes looks to be divided, There are two discharges one close to 35E and on just west of 77.

The river needs to be significantly past flood stage to overflow Blackdog road. (which is 702Ft) There is a possibility that bait fish might get into and maybe some larger fish, but the water temps probably are to warm in parts of the season. The water usually stays open during winter on the lake.

I would say if your up for it fish it. You might be able to get a canoe in by one of the discharges. There is no boat access, and parts of the the land surrounding is private property and fenced accordingly. (Dtro you better stick to Jordan tongue.gif )

Good luck

LFC

Quote:

Its not restricted area. There just no easy access.

Years ago I thought that it might be a pretty good place to fish. I've tried it with no success.

The intake, is at the power plant and is for cooling purposes. Then is dumped back into the lake to cool. The lakes looks to be divided, There are two discharges one close to 35E and on just west of 77.

The river needs to be significantly past flood stage to overflow Blackdog road. (which is 702Ft) There is a possibility that bait fish might get into and maybe some larger fish, but the water temps probably are to warm in parts of the season. The water usually stays open during winter on the lake.

I would say if your up for it fish it. You might be able to get a canoe in by one of the discharges. There is no boat access, and parts of the the land surrounding is private property and fenced accordingly. (Dtro you better stick to Jordan
tongue.gif
)

Good luck

LFC

I knew you would chime in sooner or later. Thanks for the info.

cool.gif

The lake is part of the Minn Valley National Wildlife Refuge. And is protected by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Services.

http://www.fws.gov/midwest/minnesotavalley/blackdog.html

I called them this spring to see if I could bring a canoe out on Long Meadow Lake (opposite side of the river but same preserve). They told me that boats of any type were prohibited.

Here is another link regarding fishing

http://www.fws.gov/midwest/minnesotavalley/fishing.html

Looks like it's allowed unless posted otherwise.

Hope that helps

• 2 months later...

I have fished it a few times and have seen other folks do the same. I have not caught anything to write home about, but the normal expected carp and small cats. I see lots of signs that people fish there though...trash, fish line, bottles etc, all the stuff that people to lazy to walk to the PROVIDED trash cans leave on the shore.

I plan on getting a kayak back there this year just to satisfy the curiosity. I can't come up with any info on depth or if there are any holes, but you'll never know untill you try.. I just hope I don't get a ticket or worse. Untill I read the post I thought I would have no problems. maybee I'll have to have an in person conversation with a C.O. before I try it.

About two years ago, When the road was flooded over, I was running my dog through that area and there were some big Northerns in the shallows among the cattails and trees making a ruckus, you could see their fins and tails out of the water. I'm pretty sure the sign there says shore fishing only, but I could be wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

i have fished there once of twice but with no luck. but i was watching others down there casting twister tails and they were catchig white bass.but other wise ive just seen carp down their.

• 2 weeks later...