Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Phill Aldahl

Freeze Up Predictions

40 posts in this topic

I am suprised nobody has started this thread yet, although ice may be a ways off, it can't come soon enough.

I am saying we will have fishable ice by mid December. Well I guess I am hoping we will have fishable ice by mid December, since I will be done with finals on the 15th, and most likely going back to the home state of Wisconsin after that.

A couple questions, where? Up north, metro, southern state? Freeze up? Skim of ice? walkable, driveable? Can be a huge fifference! I would say in my area south of the metro, I will be walking on the ice christmas time. But I usually take the atv out on LOW in the first week of december.

In this area, we'll have walkable ice between Christmas and New Year's.

Looking at accuweather.com (hope I can say that) 15 day forcast, they have a pretty chilly forcast for the area after about the next week, c'mon ice! smile.gif Awh but I want 2 diver hunt 2! frown.gif

I see 10 days out on Accuweather they are predicting highs in the teens and lows around 4 or 5. Now we just have to wait and see how right they are. I will take those temps a little earlier if they could swing that.

I drove by Lake Crystal one morning a couple days ago when it was really calm and that bay area by the highway had some skim ice cooking. The water should be cooling at a rapid rate now with all the cold nights.

I agree with TO - we will be hitting the ice on New Years...

Well not to sound like an inbred or anything but I think we will have walkable ice by about December 5th. 3 of the past 5 years i was icing by thanksgivin. The other 2 years I was in my boat. Yes these years of early ice were quite dangerous but made much safer with the use of picks ,pfd;s, freinds, cellphones, and other saftey measures. you can always throw out tip ups and go back to the truck and sit at the launch. All this and I was fishin in the Metro and south of the metro. North had 2 to 3 inches of ice at this point.

Anyways did any of you here about the two kids who sunk there old mans boat out on Tonka 2 years back. That year was nasty. from what i seen there was not a sole on the lake. The lake locked up with ice five days later. I seen it on fox 9 news, I think they said they were tryin to make structure for the upcoming ice season. They were hospitalized for hypothermia. Man those kids were lucky, im glad to, all we need is another minnetonka death scene. I guess they were lucky after all it was thanksgiving.

With the water temps as cool as they are and some cooler temps coming and the fact that we are due for some early ice, my bet is that I will be on some smaller lakes with walkable ice by no later then the 12-15th of December.

lets go fishing soon. The gear is ready. smile.gif

The last 4 years I have been on the ice by the 10th of December on the shallower lakes in this area. Yes, one needs to be careful but 3" will work if you walk slow and safe. I also like to use my snow shoes to disperse my weight.

Boat off around Dec 15. Hocky Jan 1.

I think we will have walkable ice, i hope by Dec 17!!! southern Mn .

You guys are all way off. I plan on being able to walk out around December 1st.

I hope you are right I wouldn't mind being on the ice right now, but that is just me grin.gif

yeah, I think it will be dec. 15 or so when we get walkable ice in SMN. The ten day forecast doesn't even look good for duck hunting frown.gif

The 10 day I looked at looks cold. Mid teens for lows some nights - I say Dec 6th.

Calm nights would help too. grin.gif

The water is cold enough i think. If we get even 3-4 nights at around 15 degrees and not much wind and highs only 30-35 during the day we will be out soon. The 10 and 15 day forecasts are making me very happy! I'm still saying December 1st-5th on the small lakes and ponds! Cant Wait!

I like your optimism but that's a lofty goal. Time will tell.

Every year it seems we get some cooler temps and I get exiceted and then the wind picks up for a few hours and then its back to the start again.

One of these years the lakes will lock up early and then we will be ready to go.

Maybe this next few weeks. Probably a month yet.

I looked on our digital DTN at work today; high winds and the temperatures aren't low enough to make solid ice for awhile yet. I'm sticking with my initial prediction; Merry Christmas! grin.gif

The 10 day forecast has changed again doesnt look as cold..Hopefully it comes soon enough. Heres some dates that I have been on the ice the last couple years in the Hutch area.

2003- Nov. 28th 3-4 inches

2004- Dec. 17th 4-6 inches

2005- Dec. 6th 3-4 inches

2006(last year)- Dec. 5th 7-8 inches

So it hasnt been that late the last couple years. Lets hope the trend continues.

last year I got out on Dec. 4th. Lasted for 5 days or so and then got really warm for a while and we had to start over. Just put the boat away so I'm hoping it's close.

Hey D4 Army, say Hi to MonkeyHustle for me, I graduated with him!!!!

Just wnet 2 jump a pond near my g-pas, and saw I left 2 mally dekes in it, well half an hour later and about 40 logs in the water, I finally got them in. Man that ice sure had a good grip! blush.gif