Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ely Lake Expert

Player to be named later

8 posts in this topic

This is something about trades I have never understood and I hear it all the time. What if the team getting the player wants too good of a player and the team giving the player refuses to give him away and neither one will budge or come to any agreement. What happens then? How is this decided? 3rd party arbitrator?

Thanks to anyone who can explain this.

It is usually a throw in type player. A low level prospect or an organization filler as the Twins like to call it.

A Drew Butera type player.

Don't both teams have to agree? And what if they don't?

I don't know, but my guess is that it is already agreed but just not made public.

Now, who remembers the story about the guy that was traded for himself? Can't remember how it went, but I'm pretty sure it happened at least once.

And then there are the guys actually traded for inanimate objects.

The one that really gets me is when a coach is hired away and the other team gets some players for compensation.

And how does that story go about the Baseball Commissioner disallowing a trade? I think it was back in the days of Charlie O breaking up the A's.

Usually, there is a short of list of a few or maybe even a half-dozen players that both teams have agreed on, and the 'receiving' team gets to pick the one they want...it is usually because they want to look at the players a bit more or maybe complete a physical exam.

Sometimes it may be incentive based. If Monroe rocks they get this guy if he sux they get that guy, or nobody, or a very low draft pick etc.

Quote:

Now, who remembers the story about the guy that was traded for himself? Can't remember how it went, but I'm pretty sure it happened at least once.

And then there are the guys actually traded for inanimate objects.

I think I saw something about that in the "Baseball as America" display that came to the MN History Center. Anybody remember the details?

After a bit of research, I came up with this little nugget:

"In April 1962, the Mets traded catcher Harry Chiti to the Indians for a player to be named later. On June 15, the Mets received the player to be named later, who turned out to be Chiti, making Chiti the first player to be traded for himself. In 1987, in the same sort of scenario, Cubs pitcher Dickie Noles was also traded for himself."