• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Need a new place to hunt

Mike #1

I am just looking for advice on where to go, I currently hunt in Nemadji state forest and it is not what it used to be, huge groups of 20-30 people camping everywhere and I am the only one without an ATV. I have not even seen a deer this year, maybe I’m just a whiner but it is sure depressing. Also, Where are these places that people are seeing 10+ deer a day and they are “passing” on them? I just want one!

Thanks for letting me cry on your shoulder

-depressed hunter

There are many places that are out there where you can get some hot action. I don't have an ATV and I see upwards of 10-40 deer a weekend. I only hunt state property during the gun and Muzzleloader seasons. Yes the state properties are crowded and it can be frustrating from time to time, but there are decent deer out there. The trick is to get into the woods early in the season and scout out a good place. You are looking to get into areas that are not easy to get to. Often times you will have to knock on some doors of private land owners that boarder the state land. Ask them if you can have permission to cut through their property to hunt the state land. If you are nice and respectful of their property, they will often say yes. This allows you to easily get into those hard to access areas, which is often where the deer pile up on state property. Get in early and let all the other hunters push the deer to you. Early, I mean 3:30am, then take a nap. You don't want to push those deer out of that honey hole. Also with easy access out, it helps with the dragging when you finally shoot that monster. As far as passing deer, it is just good practice not to shoot young deer. That means, letting the small basket bucks go. Shoot a doe instead. If you shoot a small six pt. buck it is almost more of a black eye than taking a mature doe in my mind. My group passed 100+ deer in the last 2 weeks and so far have shot two 140+ inch bucks and 3 does. If you let the little ones go, you will get a chance at a big boy. Also try to hunt state property during the week. It is much easier to get where you want and not be interupted by the heard of humans stumbling through the woods.

We also hunt public land - Next year we are hunting the 2nd or 3rd weekend to get away from the crowds. One thing that I have realized is the there are three different kinds of hunters on state land. 1st - The guys that will go 100 yards off of a road. 2nd are the guys that drive there 4-wheelers back as far as they can get into the woods and hunt within 100 yards of the 4-wheeler. and 3rd the guys that take this knowledge and find some place in-between. I was fortunate to harvest a decent 10 pointer this year that followed a natural funnel about 1/4 mile off on the road. I, also passed on a spike in this area. Had one guy that hunted behind me (within 100 yards from the road)and there was no chance this guy would've never seen either of these deer. My advice when hunting public land is get back in the woods a ways where a four-wheeler can't get to and most people won't walk. Or hunt the latter part of the season or like Trophyeyes said hunt mid week

I'm assuming you are somewhere near Duluth if you are hunting Nemadji, have you tried further north? I was up by Hovland three years ago on the third weekend on a streams research project and the woods were empty and it had snowed. No signs of humans, but man there were deer everywhere! Saw a nice buck too! I know that's a long drive, but perhaps banking on less people 3rd weekend will help you out. And some light snow!

I would recommend if you want to get away from ATVs, go somewhere that doesn't allow them (such as a WMA), then just walk in as far as you can. In my opinion, most people hunt within about 1/2 mile of where they park. If you can go in maybe a couple miles, you should have it all to yourself with all the deer that think they should be safe there. The only downside is dragging your deer out wink.gif

Thanks for all the info, I did scout a new area this year but, someone built 2 permanent stands where I intended to hunt, I found this out opening morning after walking over a mile. frown.gif I also tried getting permission on private land but I was shut out on that too. To make matters worse my hunting partners lost interest so I’m back to going solo. I might also try a state park next year. I still have this weekend though.

I would recommend the state parks, we hunted one this year and my son, who is 14 yrs old shot his first deer on his first hunt and it was a big 12 point, couldn't beleive it. I want to install the pics but can't seem to find out how.