Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wall_eye_assasin

Ice question

3 posts in this topic

I have 3 or 4 days off 3rd week of December. On a normal year (I know the weather changes) can a man go fishing on Upper Red this time of year. I am not an Ice fisherman at all and never been to Red Lake. Just some advice please. Sure would like to head up for 3 days in December.

Yes in the past we have been able to take are big houses out after xmas, One year I took a big house 4 miles out on dec. 15th.Every year is different though so it really hard to predict. Mother nature is in charge on red lake

We may have good walkable ice by then. The trouble with red in the early winter is the wind can take 6-8" of ice and pile it up on shore over night. Last year I was going to go ice fishing on turkey day and ended up having to do all the family stuff instead of going fishing, next day I went out to the lake before the sun came up to hear waves crashing into shore. It can change that quick.