Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DTro

Shipping fishing poles

13 posts in this topic

I have two large fiberglass 7'6 one piece fishing poles that I need to ship out.

Anyone have any bright ideas what to ship them in that doesn't cost more than the poles themselves.

A carboard tube would be perfect. But where to find one??

I tried a PVC pipe, but the ID was too small, and I don't want to buy a 4" just for that.

I did get the triangle USPS priortity mailers, but will need to thread 4 of them together and will probably be over the 108" (length + girth) limit.

Surely fellow FM'ers must have a solution. grin.gif

I may have a tube that my cabelas 8' rod came in. Let me check when I get home. I'm in Andover though??? Hmmm.

A Plano rod tube works well. I currently have 6 rods stuffed into one (up to 7'6") for a trip to Arkansas on Thursday evening. Foam padding on both ends and lockable in a couple different directions. Have used it before through airlines and been fine and works good for the back of the truck too. I think they are around 40 bucks, but if you use it a couple times, it will pay for itself.

I just thought of this...

Go to menards or the depot or lowes and head back to the flooring department. See if they have any tubes left over from a roll of vinyl flooring or possibly carpet.

carpet rolls a good idea.

Thanks for the offer Hoggs, Andover is a bit of drive though.

The priority mailers I tried to put together a while ago look something like a grade school art project. I think I'll find an alternative blush.gif

Just tape a few of the cardboard tubes together. As to where to find them, do you know anyplace that has large maps or does large format printing/plotting? The tubes that the maps or paper for plotting work great.

Dtro- I sent you an e-mail

PVC comes in sizes other than 4". Try a schedule 20 (no need for 40) 2". That should fit the bill and be plenty strong and light.

Quote:

PVC comes in sizes other than 4". Try a schedule 20 (no need for 40) 2". That should fit the bill and be plenty strong and light.

2" is too small frown.gif

dtro, I can help with the carpet tubes.

I'll be in Belle Plaine this weekend to celebrate Thanksgiving.

Let me know.

Sifty

Lowes sells 3" PVC in schedule 20. Probably has end caps too.

Did you try USPS? I know that someone makes these tubes cuz I get rod blanks in them. I have a few around 7+' but being up in Chisholm that is not going to help you a whole.

Thanks guys, I was able to round up a cardboard tube that will work great.