• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Boots

DeanoB

Ok so I need boots and unfortunalty can't find 18" boots made in USA that would be warm enough...so I can not decide between 2 boots, any input form fellow FMer's would be great!

1> Lacrosse Alpha Burley Sport 7.0 the tops are neoprene rated to -60 these are camo @$110 have side zip.

2> Muck Wetland, neoprene tops & supposedly rated to -20 @$100 non camo no zipper but i guess they roll down easily. (ruled out the woody max due to being same as wetland except camo, not really worth the $35 more)

neporene seems like a good choice, but i have heard problems with puncturing vs. traditional rubber.

Other boots may be considered, I gave up traditional hunting boots years ago, so no leather or lace ups for this guy.

These are replacing A pair of 1000g thinsulate Rocky Stalkers that have been great, but now leak, and the sole popped off from prying them off after each hunt over the last 4 years or so.

Deano, I have the Muckboots Woody Max. Totally waterproof, and I haven't had any problems with punctures out in the woods. Great warmth, too. But the lower portions are rubber, and they don't breathe. So your feet will sweat, sweat, sweat. Best advice I give when someone wants a rubber or neoprene boot is to buy them big enough to put on three socks: a thin polypro liner, and medium weight wool and a heavy weight wool. You need all this wool to absorb the sweat, and the polypro liner wicks that moisture away from your foot.

I haven't worn the first boot you mentioned, but I have a hard time believing that a zippered boot will hold its waterproofing ability over time.

I've had two sets of Muck boots, both uninsulated, and with a pair of wool socks have used them into the winter with comfortable feet as long as I was on the move. They are all I have used the last five deer seasons - even standing in the morning and evening. Did talk to a dealer with extensive experience with them and recommended that you don't roll them down like other high top rubber boots. Bought my second pair at the end of this summer and paid about $90 for them. smile.gif

I also recommend you don't roll them down. It puts creases in the neoprene, and that will wear them out faster. They're plenty easy to get on and off, especially if you buy them a bit big.

I'm on my second pair of much boots and can't say enough about them, I am able to wear them all year long. This fall I also bought my wife and 2 daughters a pair for their fall travels with dad, water tight and no laces!!! smile.gif

pulled the trigger last night and bought the Muck Wetland boot. it was very comfy walking around the store, did notice they slip a little on those shiny floors, but don't think I'll be spending much time on shiny big box store floors when they are on. I'll let everyone know how they perform after the weekend of hunting.

Quote:

I have the Irish Setter Mountain Claw XT (1000 gram). Most comfortable boot Ive ever owned.

ill second that. Awesome boots.

update for any one who care.

after field testing the Muck Wetland boot this past weekend, I can say that hands down this is the best boot I have ever owned. Warm, comfy, all day walking comfy, sitting for long periods of time the toes would get a little cold, but thats just lack of circulation, as soon as i stood up or stretched the legs out they would warm up. even standing in a creek for a few minutes to test them out feet and toes stayed warm. easy to get off, almost too easy i found out when i took one too many steps into the swamp, and sunk almost knee deep. when trying to free myself, the boots justed wanted to come right off. surely more to do with the fact that i usually wear an 11, but the size 12 boots felt better , so i bought those. the only gripe I have is the neoprene is a cockleburr, bananna sticker, and other sticker magnet. other than that best boots I ever had, wish i could wear to work, much more comfy than these dress shoes grin.gif

oh I wore a liner sock, and then a pair of heavy smart wool socks, I think a 3rd pair to absorb more sweat when walking a lot would have been beneficial.

The Muck's are awesome. I've got some Woody Elite's and wouldn't trade them for anything. I had the knee high Lacrosse 1200s before - they were really warm but clunky and dang near impossible to get off. The mucks are lightweight, warm, and come right off.

Are the muck boots in any stores or do you have to order them online? If so where, I'd like to check them out, pics on a computer aren't the same as seeing & feeling them?

I've worked with several leading sporting goods store and learning as much about footware as i have, I am very open to say that the majority of a persons comfort comes from footware. I'm glad to see that you found a par that you enjoy.

In footware its important that you fit the type, kind, and size of the boot to how and when a person is going to wear a boot. For most its over whelming walking into a store and seeing a vast slection, but its great to have such a selection. Because of the different needs and the differences in what people find comfortable. With that the best part of the job is getting to try and play with everything. That is one thing i highly suggest is to go into a store and even if your not looking to buy or just planning ahead, try on and ask to play with things. Thats what their there for and it gives a person a better idea of whats out there and ideas of how to better their experence in the outdoors.