• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone else having trouble with Gore Tex?

Hemlock

Question

I've been buying Gore-Tex for a long time now, and I've found the last two or three boots I've purchased to be "not so waterproof" after a very short while. (2-6 months of good use)

I understand it does wear out, as I have a jacket that is about 8 years old, and it's finally starting to give up the ghost.

Anyone else finding this?

16 answers to this question

I am on my fifth and sixth pair of boots with Gore Tex.

The first pair were Browning and I retired them after about six or seven years of hard use. They were waterproof the whole time. Great boot. I actually looked at them the other day and thought about throwing them on.

The next three pairs were 2 LaCrosse and 1 Irish Settter. All leaked somewhat right away, but all got much worse with some use. I got smart with the last two pair and returned them within the time lime that they allow for the "waterproof guarantee" They cut the time in half for me because I am considered a "professional user" The typical guarantee is a year and I get 6 months.

I now have a pair of Rockies (1200 gram) and a pair of Herman Survivors (not Gore Tex)(600 gram). I believe both are good boots and haven't leaked yet. The Survivors were $45 at Wally World recently. They seemed so good to my feet I went back and bought another pair to store in the closet. I haven't worn the Rockies much except to give them a good trial run in some water and they seemed good.

Keep your receipts and return them and get a new pair or get your money back if they leek. Put six months on them and trade them on a new pair for free. That is what I plan on from now on. They are all made overseas these days and they are not very good quality.

Thanks for your input Big Al. I have had Rockies, Danners, Irish Setters, and now Cabela's brand shoes, all with Gore tex. The Danners were the best boot, but I lost them.

This last pair of shoes I got were Cabelas and I haven't worn them hard at all, and I got soaked in them today. What bothers me is that Gore Tex is a layer inside the shoe. I can see if leather seems let go, but for the Gore to be leaking after a couple weeks of wear is not acceptable. I've always paid more for boots with Gore Tex (As opposed to Wal Mart boot), but I'm starting to doubt that anyone out there is making a quality product, so one might as well by a cheaper boot.

Hey Hemlock,

I too have been a fan of Gore Tex for a long time, so I know what it costs. I guess I look at a lower priced Gore Tex product as a potential "red flag", as I know what it should be valued at. You can take a great product and surround it with inferior craftsmanship and quality is lost. I tend to look at the overall product, not a "brand name" that has ben attached to it. I agree, my older Gore Tex stuff still seems to be the best.

I buy with caution, and have an appreciation for the product I'm buying. Irish Setters boots vs. Cabelas boots is a classic example. You know what I mean.....you really get what you pay for. By no means am I knocking Cabelas, as I have some of their Gore Tex products, but when it comes to footwear, there is a true correlation between price and quality in my experience.

Chris

The leaks "in the goretex" that you think you have are probably really leaks "around the goretex" from a seam or stitching or something similar that wore out. Or maybe water getting in through the front by the laces, or between the sole and the boot itself. That is where quality can really come into play, not in the goretex itself but in the workmanship of putting everything together.

I won't buy a pair of boots that doesn't say Gore-Tex. You probably have a problem with the sewing/manufacture of the boot - take them back!

I average approx. 1 year of use out of my equipment with Gore-Tex. Boots, jackets, or pants I always seem to get leaks in them after a year....whether it be the seams or not I still average 1 year per product.

Quote:

I average approx. 1 year of use out of my equipment with Gore-Tex. Boots, jackets, or pants I always seem to get leaks in them after a year....whether it be the seams or not I still average 1 year per product.

I hear what you are saying LOTWfisher...but aren't you a little dissapointed that they are only lasting a year?

Of the last three pairs of boots, Irish Setter (X2) and now Cabelas, I don't think they are holding up for what I paid for them.

Could they be going with a cheaper version of Gore Tex?

Oh, and Blackjack, I have been taking them back. Cabelas has been very good about it.

I am kinda pissed about it. The last pair I got was a tip from a guest who bought a pair that was too small, so sending them back is tough haha. As for the clothing stuff I am sending some back right now but it is close to the 1 year time of purchase so I hope they honor it. I guess we will see. I was kinda dissapointed that my Ice Armour X suit I bought last year started to leak and take on water one day on the lake. I felt like I was in a bathtub and it was 100 lbs of weight on me. I dont know what caused it to suddenly start to leak...Never did all winter or summer.

Gortex fibers can wear out with a lot of rubbing, that will cause it to loose it's waterproof property. Chemical treating the textile can make it more resistance wear and tear. How the gortex is sewn inside the boot or rather tape/sealed can affect any rubbing of the material while working the boot.

I've got a pair of matterhorns 14 yrs old, leather is all beaten up, sole is worned out. I still use for it's waterproof property.

I have one Browning gortex pants 11 yrs old I still use for it's waterproof property - except I got two little campfire ember burn holes in it.

I have a NorthFace gortex jacket 9 yrs old now that's lost it's waterproof due to use wear and tear after three years. It's only a great windbreaker now and some water repellent in not so worn out areas.

Just throwing this out there. Do not use fabric softeners when cleaning gore-tex and other membrane constructed fabrics, it alters the membrane and they will not be waterproof anymore. It's sort of like wear and tear without any physical wearing and tearing.

I bought a pair of danner pronghorns this year and found them to be great. The first time I got wet was my last time out and that was because water came over the top. Very nice fit also. I protected the leather and seams with some product but was not sure if I should spray all the boot or just the non-leather areas with the water proofing product. Any suggestions. thanks

I have a pair of Rockys that are 5 years old, look very rough now, but do not leak a drop!

I second the Snow Seal for the leather. I also put it on the fabric areas! It is a little messy to apply but lasts a long time.

Cliff

I will third the snow seal grin.gif.I will take a hair dryer and melt it into the seams. My Ice kings are 10 to 12 years old and have never leaked.

I have several pairs of older Rocky's for work and for hunting. I have never had a any of these boots leak due to a problem with the gore tex liner.Also have a pair of older Danners with gore tex.No problem with these either. Must be a manufacturing problem/issue with newer boots.