• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

"Some" Success on Saturday

hanson

Not much to brag about here but if a guy has time, and wants to catch a few walleyes near the new moon, its possible.

We fished the west side, over rocks, on Saturday evening and picked up a 24" and a 26". Guess if you are only going to catch 2 fish, might as well be nice ones. grin.gif

Story behind fish #1 is pretty good. Just motored out from the launch and were sitting in 17' of water. Tossed the sock out and started to dial in the speed. Picked a very delicious looking Super Rogue in Firetiger pattern and started to let it out behind the boat. Line was coming off the reel very slow. I was glancing at my depthfinder and saw we passed over a very large boulder. Right behind the boulder was a very nice arc. About 15 seconds later, I couldn't figure out what was going on with my line. Doh! Fish on! I was still feeding my line out and had about 50' out when I realized a fish had grabbed my crankbait. Fish #1 was 24".

111007hanson24eyerp2.jpg

It seriously took less than 1 minute to get the first fish of the night in the boat and we thought we were going to be in for something special. Or so we thought! wink.gif

Then we trolled for awhile. Finally got up into proper trolling depth where we tried to work from 6-8'. Fish #2 came from a little (very little) rock point when we trolled across it. Watched the depth go from 8' to 4' and then back down to 8' just as fast. Soon as our baits crossed that point. Wham! Fish #2 was in the boat which was 26".

111007hanson26eyeug3.jpg

The only other action for the night was snagging a nice Tullibee in the dorsal fin. Surprisingly fun fight from that little bugger. grin.gif

We only saw 3 other boats the entire time we were out. 2 musky boats and 1 other boat night trolling.

Left the lake about 10:30pm. Both of those fish were caught before the sun went down. It appears dark in the 2nd fish photo but there was still a good glow on the horizon when it hit.

Oh well... like I've said before, this trolling game is pretty new to me as well as fishing Mille Lacs. With the help of fellow FMers, I've had some success. The key word there is "some".

Nice eyes. That's a good sign snagging that Tulibee, it's time to break out the Rainbow Trout colored Rapalas!! The best fall fishing is yet to come and it's been a pretty good fall.

nice fish! thanks chris, for your excellent report! thats so fun when you are aware of everything happening like that and have those results...see the fish, catch the fish! :-)

regards,

minnesotatuff

Hanson,

Who was the other lucky angler? It was not D-turtle was it. grin.gif

Good going on the Mille Lacs eyes. You have boated more than I this fall.

Hunting is over now and the shack needs a new roof. I see some Mille Lacs weekends in my future, boat in tail.

Nice report!

Good report and photos, as usual, Chris. You have a nice knack of displaying the new gear too. grin.gif

Nice report and nice fish, two eyes to make 50 inches is pretty impressive! Kills me to know I could have been out there......

Chris

I was also out there Sat evening with almost identical tactics as hanson. When we got to the ramp I got a call from hanson and he already had the 2 eyes he mentioned above. I was thinking YEAH, this is going to be a great night. Well, we caught 4 of our 5 fish in the first hour, then it just shut down. We ended with a 16", 17", 20", 24", and 25". For whatever reason, the bite was early in the night and from what we can tell, we missed the best part of it. We fished till 1:00am

Here's the 24"

ty_eye1.jpg

the new moon generally generates a better day bite than night bite. i wonder if your guys results dont just verify that?

...nice fish! thanks for the post.

regards,

minnesotatuff

hanson nice fish and very detailed report. Minnesotatuff, last year during the new moon phase we hammered fish all night long for 2 solid nights. New moon can be awesome, usually on dark colored baits. I think the fish are feeding differently this year. Keying on different size forage, times of night etc. It's our job to try figure this thing out. grin.gif

I was the lucky guy who got to ride shotgun and do net duty for Chris smile.gif

It's strange, when we boated those 2 fish in the first hour, and the sun was just going down, we had to figure it was going to be an awesome night...think again.

I have never found a bad day of fishing, even if the fish didn't cooperate on the catching part. Tried out a few cranks that hadn't yet seen the water. I threw at least 8-10 different baits out there, with nothing working any better than the previous ones.

aanderud was the luck duck to ride the big pond with the almighty Hanson.

Must of been good times.

Good net action! grin.gif

Team Otter hit her right on the head!

Hanson has the knack for that "T.V. show” presentation, when holding fish. The gear, the action and facial action that makes the pic look good (the muskey pic.)(The Al Linder pose). grin.gif

I would say the second best for game display is Tyler. That guy holds a fish and makes it look like the catch of a life time. From Cats to ducks, T.V. show all the way.

These guys are top notch.

Good job guys! cool.gif

A couple of you guys have mentioned a few things that I was wondering myself on Saturday.

Saturday had solid cloud cover most of the day with a pretty steady 10-15 mph SE wind. To me, the air seamed "heavy" for lack of a better term, and the clouds seamed low. The shoreline we fished had pretty decent chop blowing onto it all day and the shoreline Tyler fished was getting hit very hard all day too. That alone would make for good walleye fishing up shallow on any lake. I think the eyes were feeding during the day or near sundown and we caught the tail end of it.

Tyler and I were both on the same side of the lake, just a looooooonnnnggg way apart. Same results.

I don't want to overanalyze things but something happened. Either we didn't fish shallow enough, or didn't fish deep enough while we were out there. The shallow thing had me spooked as I didn't want to find the rocks on a part of the lake I wasn't familiar with. Next time I know where I can run but its a little spooky up shallow in the pitch dark with a map chip that is 3' off in depth. Also kind of hard to search fish out putzing along at .8 mph.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

This time of year you'll often find eyes in shallower water than most guys are comfortable trolling in. So Hanson you're not alone. wink.gif

I'm hoping to hit Mille Lacs or maybe one of the local lakes for November fullmoon. It's looking like we'll still have softwater to fish by then unless we get some drastic changes in the next few weeks.

At least you got to catch some fish on one of your new lures. laugh.gif

Bang those rocks man. You can always get out and walk yourself out of harms way, grin.gif

Just like Borch, I will hit the pond till ice freezes.

Good Luck!

Quote:

It's strange, when we boated those 2 fish in the first hour, and the sun was just going down,

Not strange at all thats the typical Mille Lacs sun down Eye bite... can't wait for hard ice and the Sunset Pig bite.

Nice Job guy's...so much to learn on the pond so little time... grin.gif

Quote:

Any vegetation standing?

Plenty. The graph was full of it when we got over 6.5 FOW. I brought many plants to hand and most looked like they were on their last leg. Brown and weak. Some had a little more green and strength thou, but most only looked to have a few weeks left in them.