• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Potential Trespassers Are Back!

chucker34

First off, nothing against road hunters or that method of hunting. Pefectly legal and acceptable - IF you follow the law. Saw several trucks with orange occupants cruising the township roads near our property again this year, as I do every other year looking for deer. It wouldn't really bother me much if I knew they had permission to pull their trucks over, step into one of the many woodlots or fields off of the road and legally take a deer. But I know for a fact they do not have permission to hunt our land or any of the land surrounding it. And in many cases, they'd be shooting into woods containing cabins and year-round houses. blush.gif You have to be covered in orange to walk down your own driveway to get the paper.

I hate "hunters" like this. I called in one license plate to TIP this year.

At the end of my Dad's 3/4 mile driveway, we saw a real nice 10-point buck on our neighbors land this next weekend. We just sat in our car a stared...and then called our neighbor to say "Hey, there is a buck in your field!" The neighbor was home for lunch...and said "Go get him".

We told him to shoot his own deer or chase it into our woods...and drove away.

We knew the neighbor was being "friendly" like we would be, but really we wouldn't like people shooting on our land unless they were looking for a wounded animal. We did honk to scare him in the woods though, as we know that if someone saw him from the highway, they would blast at him.

I had the same experience this weekend too. Not to mention people hunting or using their ATV's to check traps in land only we had permission to hunt.

I'm selling my Super X2 slug gun (1 year old) and giving up deer hunting in my area.

Quote:

I had the same experience this weekend too. Not to mention people hunting or using their ATV's to check traps in land only we had permission to hunt.

I'm selling my Super X2 slug gun (1 year old) and giving up deer hunting in my area.

Hey Dave that is the main reason why I bought land up north. I was the only one to have permission to hunt this land, then every year I would have people wandering around, it just pissed me off.

I wouldnt sell your gun, just hold on to it! You would love the remote upnorth hunting. Not only is there more woods per person, but its a vacation, away from home! Which is the best part.

Well,

the entire weekend was a waste for me. We got 2 deer for 11 guys. The plus to that was, we saw several deer within 50 yards, but I held out on the shots because some of our hunting party was on the other side.

But, aside from the (Contact Us Please) out wandering around, I got home yesterday to find out that my water softener sprung a leak and soaked part of the basement carpet. Walls and carpet will need to be replaced. This is after other unexpected events turned up this summer and depleted the majority of our available funds for our ND pheasant trip over Thanksgiving and X-Mas. I need to cushion that fund because I refuse to give that up this year. I am keeping my T/C G2 Contender .223 for the 'yotes though.

I'm planning on either finding an area closer to the in-laws in the rifle zone (Ottertail County) or go to ND for deer next year.

Sorry to hear of the misfortune, if I was in the market for another gun or if I had the spare funds I would take it off your hands.

Back to the main topic, I was up and about at 5am this morning, I heard 4 shots go off, then a minute later heard another 2 shots. This is from my house, and they werent to far away from me either. I do live on the edge of town but, it was 5 am! confused.gif

this year has been the worst as far as disrespect to other hunters or the laws for that matter.

One of our drives, we had 3 deer get through the standers. There was a truck watching about a half mile away in the "S" curves east of town on County Road 26 and as soon as the deer got over there, 3 gun wielding jackasses hop out and start running down the road after the deer. The problem here is the obvious "you cannot shoot from the roadway" and all of the land around this area is private where they didn't have permission to hunt in the first place.

Another plus was that we now have a flock of 50+ turkeys back in one of our main areas after not seeing one bird last year.

I'm also undecided if Mr. Jones interfered somehow with our hunt. Not while we were hunting, but in the pre-dawn hours. One section of woods we walked that borders his land had an odd smell to it that I have never noticed before and it was gone the following day. Needless to say there were no deer in this woods that usually holds 5+ every time we walk through there.

I hope it wasn't Hilex. I've heard people can sabotage stands quite easily by dumping bleach under them. It's a terrible thing to do.

I had someone seed out wood edge with mothballs one year. The deer avoided those trails for a few days, but soon started just stepping over them.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's tough to describe what the smell was like. It wasn't a bleach smell. It was really odd that it was there one day and not the next. Nothing in the weather had changed that would have washed it away. There is a turkey farm about a mile down the road and another farmer was knifing in liquid manure in the area and I could smell it over that. It was poignant (sp), that's for sure.

Oh well. Time to put this weekend behind me and move on. Heading to Battle Lake (your neck of the woods Gissert) to the in-laws for turkey day and then onto ND for some pheasant hunting for the weekend. Looking forward to getting the new pup on her first real hunt.

4Wanderingeyes,

Which side of town are you on? 5am is a bit early, I was coaching hockey last weekend so it wasn't me.

Hey Mike, glad to see you're still around. Good to see you're still into the hockey. I was planning on getting certified to be a ref, but too many other things got in the way.

P.S. Not sure if you remember who I am, but we were teammates in LS. cool.gif

these truck hunters make me sick, I have in-laws that do it and how is it a sport to see a deer and speed up to it and chase it down just to blast away from the ditch or whatever. I mainly bowhunt for this reason. how is it a sport when people do that if your so hard up for meat go buy a hog.

I was hunting 3A, mid week. I'm in this little patch of woods in the intersection of 3 different farms. The corn is all cut, and the patch of woods is maybe 2 or 3 acres. It's about 4pm, I'm sitting in my blind anticipating the prime hours, and this pickup drives up to the woods. Stops within yards of me. Then proceeds to drive all the way around the patch of woods, and then leaves. My son told me they did it to him 2 years ago, and my friend had it happen to him in the same patch last year. I don't know for sure if they have the necessary handicap to hunt from a vehicle, so perhaps my displeasure is misguided. But it is really frustrating.

I had to laugh, when a buck walked through a half hour later. I passed on it, but I'm sure they wouldn't have. I guess it doesn't necessarily spoil the hunt. But I was sure tempted to give them a piece of my mind.

LEP7MM,

I don't remember anyone who was shooting a 7MM at the time? grin.gif

I need more hints. Shoot me an email [email protected], note the 15 in my address. I also have a cabin on the same lake as the one Gissert lives on!

I didn't have the 7mm until I bought a Lone Eagle Pistol 7mm-08 (hence my user name) in my late 20's. I have since sold that with the population growing east of LS.

I usually wore #13 and I think #12 a year or two. If you remember the fights I used to get into with Tom G. blush.gif you might remember me (Dave S.). grin.gif

Pretty good and you?

I live in Blaine now but still do most of my hunting back in Henderson with my dad.

Other than that I play and coach hockey. I occasionly work as well.

By the way the Tom G. thing did give you away. grin.gif