• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Finally I connected!**edit pict added**

Deitz Dittrich

Finally a harvest this year…

I spent Saturday morning at my brothers house in MPLS attending my fave little nephews birthday party. I left his place at 1pm to give me enough time to get to my cabin and in a tree as early as possible. I had a good friend who was meeting me up there as well to sit on one of the stands.. He asked why we were getting in stand so early, I said, it’s the time of year, they are moving early.. and I would rather be early than late. Keep in mind I have been pretty selective so far this year and could have taken quite a few shots, but bow season ends on Wed I believe because of Gun season in WI, so time was getting short.

I wasn’t in stand long and had a Doe coming straight at me. A direction they have not come from before from this stand location, and directly down wind. I was up and at the aim when she came to a stop, I assume she winded me. After about 15 mins she decided it must be ok to proceed and was about to step into my shooting lane, I came to full draw all I needed was for her to step out from behind the tree. 23 yards… Well she came from behind the tree and used it as a pylon and again was facing right at me. Again, I assume wind. She turned back around and started to go back the direction she came but quartering away. I let out a very light “baaaa” to get her to stop at 25 yards… and BOOM, she was gone… she still may be running, left me there at full draw… RATS!!!!!!!!!!

As soon as I sat down dejected, I heard a shot(this was not the direction my deer had run). My buddy was in a stand about 150 yards from me. It sounded like a decent hit, looked at my watch, 4:10.. still plenty of light for me. About 20 mins later I heard crunching from behind me. The woods were quite quiet as it had rained earlier in the day. I slowly peeked over my left shoulder to see a nice doe… actually 3 doe and 1 fawn(which could have been last years fawn) The best of the bunch was only 17 yards behind me. I waited for her to put her head down, which she did, and I stood. Being a left handed shooter, I had to rotate all the way around to face the tree, I then came to full draw. All she needed to do was take one more step. She did, but in the wrong direction. I had to let down rotate around the tree and come to full draw again, but as she came the other direction she turned and went right under my tree. There was a limb in the way, had to let down yet again rotate around the limb and again come to full draw. This time, she was broadside at 17 yards. End of story… Checked the anchor, put the pin on, and slowly touched off the release… I watched the arrow enter the exact spot I was aiming. She ran 35 yards and I watched her tip over.

Doubled up… We went out rattling Sunday am, but didn’t get anything moving. Spent the rest of the day cutting and packaging and telling stories… Great Weekend!!!

Great job and great story Dietz! Time to make some Bratwurst patties and those oh so good backstraps!!!

Good Luck if you get out for the late season...

Good Luck!

Ken

Thanks all.. it felt great... love making a good shot! Picts at home.... Not sure people wanted to see me and a doe.. LOL..

Deitz, any deer with a bow is a dang rush and a trophy. I like you, have taken to the bow exclusively because of that feeling.

Way to go Dietz. I passed on many bucks this past weekend waiting for a couple bruisers I saw but didnt give me a great shot. Now, since I didnt shot a buck, I will need to travel back for the buck.

We will see how this one turns out.

Thanks again to all... I will post picts tonight.. Strats- you can cover up me with your hand.. LOL

This was my 6th deer with a bow. Not nearly as many as most of you. I was a target archer first. Then got into hunting quite a bit later in life. This by far was the coolest though.. it was the first deer I ever got to see go down in my sight. I have heard them crash before, but never got to watch it happen... NO TRACKING, although, it would have been a very easy track job. 8-)

Atta boy Deitz!!! Nuttin on the planet more yummy that a nice juicy doe.

Got brat???? grin.gif

DD or any others hunting WI, I just checked and Tues, the 20th is the last day of bowhunting before gun opener...I know it had been Thurs in past years and am glad I checked.

For the pics, maybe we could photoshop in some gorgeous 20yr old blond in DDs place with the doe cool.gifsmile.gif

Quote:

For the pics, maybe we could photoshop in some gorgeous 20yr old blond in DDs place with the doe
cool.gifsmile.gif

Never use 20 year old blonde and DD in the same sentence.

Maybe we can photo shop out the doe and put the blonde in it's place... now Deitz has some 'splainin to do! ooo.gifgrin.gif

Good Luck!

Ken

Har har har.. my wife is Blond... and was 20 at one point in her life.. LOL...

Boilerguy... dude, its one of the reason she had to go.. I got that brat recipe and cant wait to try it out.. I have to work Cabelas Ice Event this weekend.. but will probably cook some up to give a go at thanksgiving...

CORRECTION - MY BAD.....WI early bow season goes until Thurs the 15th this year. Believe it or not the DNR already has next year's season figured out - complete with a link, which is when early bow season ends the 20th.

Ok.. here is the pict.. please keep in mind the hole you see is the exit wount.. I tore her shoulder up big time on the exit...

d2007deer.jpg

Not the best pict.. not the best deer, but proud of her and the shot 100%!!!

Nice Deer Dietz!

Good eating!

Looks alot older than at the Sportsman Show last Spring! grin.gif

Must be the 5 oclock shadow!

Good work brother!

Bow carnage shots are awesome; I'd have to believe a bow-double is about as difficult as it gets. Unless you were using a spear or something. Looking forward to trying some of your newfound veni-recipes.

Joel