• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Weekend Wrap Up

picksbigwagon

Was down in Iowa this past weekend for a few days of R and R. We headed out Friday morning to make a few sets and try to call in some of the coyotes I know run around the area. We made four sets that morning, giving about 25-30 minutes at each set. No luck with coyotes, we saw a lot of crows, a few big bodied deer, stumbled into a huge flock of turkeys, but no coyotes. I know for a fact they are there, we heard them howling all three nights we were there, but I have yet to see one during the day when I am trying to call them. I will be back later this winter (Hopefully) and try it again.

Pheasant hunting was our main objective and we saw a lot of coyote scat along trails and on field roads. We saw evidence of two fresh rooster kills Saturday morning, two areas we had walked by while making our sets the morning before.

Pheasant hunting was pretty good, not a lot of shooting but we did see a ton of birds. I drove a field with a young, hyper dog, and the dog's owner as we posted others around this CRP haven. The grass was taller than I was (I'm 6'7") and there were times when all I could see was grass. the first pass we kicked out 35 birds one of the posters said. Mostly hens, the few roosters we did kick up, waited for us to walk by and the busted behind us. We walked that field three times and only managed 1 rooster, but man what an awesome sight to be in Iowa and have birds just exploding all around us.

This weekend is deer hunting for me in SE MN, tried to sight my heads up display scope on saturday and after 25 rounds (not cheap'os either) I disgustedly gave up trying to sight it in and I am back to using my open sights. Oh well, maybe next year I can get a scope.....