Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ifishsd

98 CHEVY K-1500 Tranny?

10 posts in this topic

I drove my truck to work today everything was ok. I go to leave and put the truck in reverse and I hear loud clunk. Then it made a loud humming noise and wouldn't go backwards.

I put it in drive and it would go forward, so I pushed it backwards and drove it home. When driving home it was shifting at different Rpm's compared to normal.

Tranny completly shot? confused.gifmad.gif Torque convertor?

How much am I looking at spending? Truck has 83,000 miles.

Did you check the fluid level? It might just be that you are low on fluid, but that could have caused damage to the transmission. Add more fluid if needed and cross your fingers. From the symptoms that you described its a good chance that your tranny is shot. Used GM trannys run from 300-1000+ depending on the miles. I had to buy a transmission for the Suburban at 120,000 miles but I bought a new one from GM, it was priced over $2000. If you decide to get another transmission, get a auxiliary trans cooler.

already have a tranny cooler on the truck.

The "clunk" you heard means it is probably terminal. Your shifting issue is probably due to the computer going into limp home mode. That should be a 4L60E. They are abundant in the salvage yards and are coming down a bit in price now.

I'd have to agree that it sounds terminal.

The labor to replace will be the same whether its new or used. GM offers a pretty nice warranty on there reman trannies. If the salvage yard one fails your out the cost of install.

Tranny is not completely shot - the reaction shell broke. It is welded up of two parts and the weld breaks. Very common on the 4l60e. Unfortunately requires removal and teardown of the transmission to replace. Your options would be to install a rebuilt/reman'd transmission, a used transmission, or rebuild/fix the current transmission.

I have been in two 1/2 tons when the tranys have gonea and always at the worst time. I consider these disposable trany's $1500.00 and you are good for to go. This is why I own a 3/4 ton.

Got the tranny rebuilt. They just fixed the reverse part. Plus torque convertor, filter and gasket.

Now I notice a small puddle on the garage floor. Looks the seal on the back of the tranfer case may be leaking. Wasn't leaking befroe it went into the shop. Has a rubber boot that the drive shaft goes into. I'm hoping it is just from removal the transfer case and was just some excess gear lube. I will keep an eye on it.

The shop replaced the seal on the back on Transfer case Monday free of charge. Seems like that did the trick. Not leaking this morning.

Brian you have way better luck than me... When I bought my 97 Dodge Ram I dropped the tranny with only 51,000 miles on it driving to Grandma's for Xmas. Then sold that when I bought my inlaw's 97 Suburban.... guess what. 102,000 and I got to put a new tranny in that too. I blame the wife because she drove both of them. But I can honestly say after two in less than 3 years, you couldn't have paid me to own another 97 vehicle.

Just got a new truck yesterday. I have a big camper, that would kill my Sub so I got a 05 Chevy 2500. I wish fuel was cheaper, I just wanna drive all over now.

Hope your leaks are fixed and hope all is going well in SD.