• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Colorful Catfish Report – 11/9/07 (5 pics)

Crazyice and I slipped out to the local watering hole, north of town for a little catting action last night. It was well after dark when we got there and I really wasn’t sure what to expect since I haven’t been on the Zumbro in search of cats for well over a month.

To top it off we tried an entirely new spot with a little deeper water than we were use to. I did some zig zagging and figure eights over the area looking for breaks and fish on the graph. We found a spot that showed some potential and dropped anchor and never had to move.

5 minutes into the night and my rod bounces with this 25” (6lb 13oz)

ty_cat7.jpg

At this point I hadn’t even had time to take my coat off yet.

A couple fish later I landed what is possibly my brightest catfish ever. This thing shimmered in gold.

ty_cat5.jpg

I jumped out to a quick 4-0 fish lead over crazy, but it didn’t take him long to take it up, then take the lead with this 26.25”er

andy_cat3.jpg

I managed the hog of the evening with this respectable 27.25”er (8lbs 6oz).

ty_cat3.jpg

On this fish I measured the diameter of this fish from the tip of its left spine to the tip of its right spine. It was 7.75” across. I’ve been thinking ICE a lot and how big a hole it’s going to take to pull fish like this (and possibly bigger) through the ice. This measurement told me quite a bit.

It was an awesome night on the water. No wind, comfortable temps, and the fish were really going. We ended the night with 8 cats each and probably missed 5+ fish each. 7 of our fish were two foot or better. For about an hour one of us would get a bite every 5 minutes.

The color on these fish continues to amaze me. The fish ranged from several shades of grays, browns, and yellows. Pale and Gold are other colors that come to mind.

hit 9 more last night with 2 right near the 24" mark. Larger fish have been tough to find as of late. We moved around a bit, but couldn't find any active fish except in the same spot as as we caught fish earlier in the week. The bite has also gone very soft compared to the summer bite.

Hanson, I'm still looking for the early ice spot. To answer your question...No

These last two outings have been interesting, found fish, but no monsters. It sure would be nice to be able to figure out where the sumos hunker down for the winter!! I am eagerly anticipating pulling some of them through the ice!