• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thinking about hitting below the Ford dam on Sunday. Haven't had the boat in the water since Sept. I've always hit red wing in recent years, but the time to get there plus gas makes me figure I'll try closer to home. Anybody been down there the last week?

I'll be bouncing jigs, cause it's what i know.

Was down there the last two weekends. Water is still much higher than normal, and there's a lot of water coming over the dam. As a result, the usual "hot" spots are suffering from excess current. However, there are fish to be caught if you stay very tight to the bottom, and if you pay a lot of attention to light bites. Slip bobbers have not been effective, as current moves them too quickly across rapidly changing contours. However, jigs in the 3/4 to 1 oz. range tipped with fatheads or Gulp did catch a lot of smaller walleyes and bass. Personally, when jigging the river, I find Gulp, or most plastics, about as effective as live bait. They're much better at surviving nips and tugs, and your hands stay a lot drier(warmer). It's been a dry week here, and elsewhere, so the river will be down a bit more this weekend. Hopefully there'll be a bit more slack water in the deeper holes. But it's definitely worth fishing.

• 2 months later...

The heaviest jigs I have used on pool 2 is 3/8oz. Until the high water hits then its 1/2oz.

• 4 weeks later...

Does the season close below the ford dam, or is that considered a 'border water'?

I don't imagine keeping anything out of there, I just want to be legally targeting the fish.

Below the dam is only catch and release Smallmouth, Largemouth, Walleye and Sauger all year.

If you see people there taking gamefish please don't be afraid let them know it is illegal or just call T.I.P.

Originally Posted By: uwecsteeple
If you see people there taking gamefish please don't be afraid let them know it is illegal or just call T.I.P.

I tell them its illegal AND Call T.I.P.

• 3 weeks later...

is there a good way to fish the ford dam from shore for some eyes and smallmouth?!

Walleyeslayer, I don't think that you'd be able to get too close the dam for shorefishing, but there are a ton of places down there where you can fish from shore.

I was bored so I mapped it out. ;P

forddamdg6.th.jpg

Click to enlarge.

The red areas are private and off limits. The yellow area is where most people fish from boats up by the dam. On a warm late March Saturday last year I was one of about 20 boats in that yellow area... crazy.gif

The blue areas are all park land, so you should be able to fish along shore any one of those spots. I don't know about the trail situation though, other than where I drew a green line. There is a trail that comes down right around there somewhere, which is also right next to where the Minnehaha Creek enters the Miss. I think this is a pretty popular area to fish from.

The parks extend further downstream and there are probably some pretty decent places you could fish near where the Minnesota and Miss come together, it would just take some exploring.

Dude, you were bored!

Nice map!

Hehe, thanks! Well it wasn't that big of a deal, just overlay some colors on a Yahoo satellite view... hopefully it is accurate! \:\)

I was thinking about trying to get the boat out down there this Friday, but it looks like the forecast has changed. Maybe next week.

wow thanks for the info yea my dad use to go there but that was awhile ago so he needed a refresher! that will really help! im thinking of going up there soon and tryin to hook into some! thanks again for the info grin.gif

I was down where the Minnehaha dumps into the 'sip on Saturday, fiddling around with my fly rod. Didn't catch anything, but wasn't trying very hard either.

I think the water needs to come up a bit for the fishing to really kick in. It's almost down to just the main channel.

Good luck, eyeslayer, let us know how you do.

...and regarding the C&R only regulation through there - I have seen a number of people keeping illegal fish and called TIP twice. Both times, a CO showed up within 30 minutes.

I think they have A LOT of problems in that area. They seemed to come through about every other day last summer.

Practice CPR - It's not worth the fine and/or the potential of losing your gear and fishing privileges for a dirt flavored, mercury addled, Mississippi walleye.

yea i would call T.I.P. also! i dont know why people have to do that. i am going to college to become a conservation officer so fure sure i will release them! i just want to go there for the good time!

The Minnehaha confulence is a big problem area. It has been for years. The catch and release signs are too small and should be on that beach. I guess they had some signs down there, but people break them. I've been checked before. I think Thor is the CO in that area. Dresses in plain clothes then hey can I see you lic. It's cool though - I abide the P2 laws. Since I have a boat I haven't been there. Well from shore - those stairs are killer going back up after a long day of fishin'.

Originally Posted By: Dave B
How do YOU know they are dirt FLAVORED?????

Hmmmmmm......

ha ha ha...

Isn't everything from the Mississippi dirt flavored?

Yes, they need to put those signs along shore(at the creek confluence especially), and they need to be printed in multiple languages!

Not trying to offend anybody, just the truth. There are a lot of non-english speaking fishermen down there, and often times I have seen them keeping illegal fish, and I'm sure it is because they don't know. I often give my rough fish to these fishermen, and try to explain the regs, but have no gripes about calling TIP if I see a walleye or bass in a bag.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

If anyone wants to discuss signage and language any further please take it to the Outdoor Discussion forum. Let's keep this thread on topic with respect to fishing in the Ford Dam area.

Thanks.

i'm hopefully heading down to the ford dam area tonight. i'm thinking about going to the mpls side for the first time!

I'm heading down to the ford dam area 2morrow, launching at Hidden Falls. A few questions: Is the water low enough to make the launch hazardous for an 18' boat? Where are the fish? Are they up to the dam yet? Are they still on the way? Should I head down to the confluence? Any info/nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Launched @ hidden falls monday in 21' boat, plenty of 18'+ boats out there. I had some difficulty launching/landing it alone with the strong wind from the south funneling in there, but was managable.

Hey guys going to be fishing the ol missi for the first time early in the year, I have lived in highland all my life and fished only from shore. Jigs with mr twisters any other fav presentations?

Ringworms seem to be a fav of a lot of the river guys, I use them a bit. Also, livebait presentations.