Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishwithteeth

Tonka on Sunday

11 posts in this topic

I will be fishing on 'tonka Sunday probably from noon til?

Would like to target both muskies or walleyes - depending on fish cooperation.

I am fairly new to the lake and was wondering what depths and methods are successful this time of year? Any insight would be much appreciated. I do believe in CPR!!!

fwt

I got skunked last friday nite and saturday during the day but may try to get out tomorrow morning.

Anyone have the temps or a report?

Mark/Calvinist, you been out?

A buddy and I were out last Sat. not the best conditions besides the wind, wish we'd gone sunday with the warmer temps, but we launched in wayzata fished muskie all day 10 hrs. Had on four with only one in the boat 43" & 2 Hot follows. Found all the fish over deep water adjacent to large shallow points and bars ~25-30 FOW one tore my small bulldog in half without a hookup, all others were on glide baits.

Hope his helps!!!

The muskies were active, i'll be heading back there before ice-over

We only fished for eyes and were skunked! Sounds like we should have been throwing big baits! Thanks for the report. Maybe I won't put the boat away just yet wink.gif

No walleyes Monday or Tuesday. 40" musky on Monday though.

Sounds like it's been a slooow fall peak on the walleye so far. Will try to get out one more time. My luck has come from the sharpest drop from good weeds. The water clarity is much worse then in years past I notices. Turn over so late in the year I assume. Wouldn't you expect that water clarity change to push them shallow and strengthen the jig bite.... Who am I kidding, this is Tonka but I'm an excuse guy. If their not doing what you expect them to there has to be a reason. Are there any sharp drops near any channels that have current. Is there any current with the strange water levels this year. Does one end of the lake clear faster then the other. I know the West gets more green then the East. The weeds are still hanging tall in the spot I tried and the gills were thick right in or on top of the weeds. Should a guy really slow it down and slip bobber edge and tops of weeds. I'd rather watch the Vikes without DVR then slip bobber though.

Walleyes scatter after turnover but eventually regroup. I just think everything was delayed by warmer weather and then thurnover etc happened so fast that our usual patterns aren't working. I tried jiggin myself to no good end. Depth finder shows fish at the bottom of breaks but can't get them to bite. I'm guessing the feeding windows are very tight this fall and I am missing them somehow. fish are still feeding so no reason to give up.

I'm going to express some frustration about this year's Tonka walleye bite as well. Each trip out we get a couple, but that's it. Last three trips we haven't even had a bite on a jig. Cranks have saved the day each time, but our biggest fish has been 22 inches. Where have all the big girls gone? The last couple years we took photos each time we went out, so far this year we haven't got anything that is photo worthy.

The fish are in the same spots as other years... just seem to be a different size class. 15-19 inches seems to be the norm this year. We've done more experimenting with new areas of the lake and that hasn't produced anything.

Back to some reports. Fished last Thursday. Pretty calm. Got a 16, 18, and 22 incher. Fished yesterday in the strong wind and rain/sleet. Got an 8 incher and an 18 incher. All fish came on cranks.

I was about to hang up my walleye gear for the year because

I couldn't catch a walleye. Then I bumped into a spot that puts out walleyes every time I go out. My usual spot for big eyes hasen't produced though, except for one @26.5" being the biggest. Still not done with Tonka...

Mark

What size X-raps did you hit ML with this year, 10s or 12s.

10s tried a 12 a few times but didn't catch anything on them. Neither did a certain guide.