Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WaitForIt

Looking for some... does!

3 posts in this topic

I'm taking my dearly beloved (the wife, just so we're clear...) out for her first bowhunting season this year. Nearly had some luck in Brainerd with her a few weeks ago - I was watching her trying to keep tabs on the 4 small deer that were orbiting her stand.. between the many pairs of eyes and good cover she never got a safe shot angle. Frustrating for her, but pretty hilarious for me watching from 30 yards away.. she was positively bug-eyed trying to keep track of 4 deer smile.gif:)

She wasn't sure at first if she really wanted to hunt or not, so that trip was to see if she has the desire in her.. after that experience, she's been pestering me to no end "When are we going back out".

So here's the deal.. I do a lot of the city hunts, and she of course cannot join me. My experiences on some of the public land I hunt up north have been pretty spotty this year, especially now that gun season is underway. For example, that place we saw the 4 deer - I haven't seen a thing there since gun season started.

Does anyone have a tip on a place to go find some does? I'd love to give her an opportunity to take her first deer over Thanksgiving weekend. I'll be there for moral support, mentoring, and quietly chuckling to myself watching it all through the binoculars. Feel free to PM if you don't want to post it public here, I understand. Would appreciate any and all information.

the wife eh?? hmm...

Well the best I can do is say to wait a week to two weeks. Go out during Ml or between the seasons or after if u 2 are willign to brave the cold. Give the deer time to settle down and later in the yr or after a week or 2 of silence they may be back to normal and somewhat easy to find in the snow. remeber...tracks dont lie. grin.gif

I would encourage you to hunt with the masses. I hunt some public land NE of Brainerd during rifle season. The area was flooded with hunters this weekend and we went 6 for 8. 4 of the deer were close enough to be shot with a bow. Even though the deer are pressured, there are hunters in the woods helping to nudge deer your way. I wouldn't be discouraged by other hunters and I would look for some really thick cover. Not sure if I am of help, but good luck!